Aquila Nylguts on a Martin 0XK

Memphis Weirdo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying a set of Aquila Nylguts on a Martin 0XK, but I'm concerned about the 0XK's bridge. It looks like the string slots on the bridge are cut too narrow to accomodate the thicker Aquila strings, and I'm a bit worried about splintering the slots. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Before anyone asks why I would consider putting Aquilas on an 0XK...

1. I'm curious about how that might sound.

2. Martin strings seem to be wearing out and going dead too quickly. They're only lasting around 2 months. I have some Aquila Nylguts on 3 other ukuleles that still sound bright after 2 years of fairly heavy playing.

i have oasis brights on my oxk currently. it had worth browns when it came to me. I wouldn't think nylguts would be a problem, although I would consider nyltechs or super nylguts over the straight nylguts.

I've done it before, nylguts on my 0XK. So it can work. Didn't result in my favorite sound for it, but admittedly at the time I was down on nylguts, until I found an instrument they work well on, and that changed my opinion of them.

Currently have my 0XK strung with Reds. Good sound, bright and lasting.

Martin strings seem to be wearing out and going dead too quickly. They're only lasting around 2 months. I have some Aquila Nylguts on 3 other ukuleles that still sound bright after 2 years of fairly heavy playing.

strange things indeed...

I use Martins on my style 0 and change them about once a year, it def' sounds better after, but not dead sounding. Used them on my C1K too, they were my favorite on that instrument, never noticed them going dead, just wearing out and starting to fray after about 5-6 months.

strange things indeed...

I use Martins on my style 0 and change them about once a year, it def' sounds better after, but not dead sounding. Used them on my C1K too, they were my favorite on that instrument, never noticed them going dead, just wearing out and starting to fray after about 5-6 months.

The A string especially gets dented VERY quickly on the m600s. At least that's my experience with them.

I've done it before, nylguts on my 0XK. So it can work. Didn't result in my favorite sound for it, but admittedly at the time I was down on nylguts, until I found an instrument they work well on, and that changed my opinion of them.

Currently have my 0XK strung with Reds. Good sound, bright and lasting.

I may try Reds next time on the 0XK myself. I had trouble with the G string snapping on longer-scale instruments (tenors), but on my concert Fluke they're terrific and I've had no troubles with them holding up.

When switching from a fluorocarbon string to Nylguts, make sure your action is high enough, the are far thicker.

When switching from a fluorocarbon string to Nylguts, make sure your action is high enough, the are far thicker.

Ahhhh. That had not occurred to me. Fortunately, the action is pretty high on both of my 0XKs.

Based on some of the responses, I just ordered a set of reds. I've never tried reds before, so I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Top Bottom