Dowes anyone here know of Azo Bell?

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to attend an Azo Bell concert/workshop on Friday night.

I know nothing of the gentleman, other than the blurb from the promoters:

"Azo Bell was already a professional musician with over 25 years experience as a guitarist when he began playing ukulele in 1992. Since then he has played around his homeland (Australia) and the world as Musical Director for the Theatre group Stretch MK1, with his trio The Old Spice Boys, and solo. His 10th ukulele featured album is about to be released. His ukulele style stems from involvement in many musical genres, using techniques adapted from the Cavaquinho and the guitar, with an emphasis on improvisation. "

azo bell.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Kurt​

Have you tried youtube and google? He's bound to show up if he has all that behind him. What about a website.

Let us know what you think of the concert and workshop. I don't know a lot about him other than a recording called Small Time that someone gave me - it's pretty good! He doesn't seem to have a website but more recordings can be found here. I think he's fairly well known among the uke community in his home country and plays out a lot, but this is the first time I've heard of him coming to the States.

Last edited:
Kurt,
I am guessing you already did a google and youtube search and found what I found. Which isn't much.

https://www.youtube.com/user/az0bell/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

No website but there is a FB page for him, if you have FB:
https://www.facebook.com/azo.bell/about

There is definitely a lack of internet information on this guy, but he might be worth checking out if it isn't too expensive or too far to drive. =)

Not much else I could find. He is an Aussie, so perhaps an Australian will respond to your message soon.

How much information do you need? Here are his albums for a start. I only watched one video and realised he was pretty good. It was him playing an original song.
https://azobell.bandcamp.com

yes!!!! Go to hear Azo...he is an amazing player, he was last here 15 years ago and knocked it outta the park at the New Jersey Uke Fest...

Here's a video from Azo Bell's September 9 Concert in Vorheesville, NY.

Recorded on a phone - sorry for the formatting.

Last edited:
Here's the other video - Django Reinhardt's "Nuages", which Azo said - tongue firmly in cheek - is "French, for 'New Age' ".

I had the opportunity to attend his workshop and concert when he was in Los Angeles a month ago and he is definitely a great musician and teacher. Worth every penny!

That guy is great! Though, he should LOSE that song about shooting his wife. That pissed me off.

Petey

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to attend his workshop and concert when he was in Los Angeles a month ago and he is definitely a great musician and teacher. Worth every penny!

Wha?! Los Angeles?! Where was it, and how did you even hear about it? I'm really sorry I missed this.

Wha?! Los Angeles?! Where was it, and how did you even hear about it? I'm really sorry I missed this.

One of the patrons from USPACE hosted it at their house over in Burbank. It wasn't well advertised since I only heard about it the day before the event from Jason.

One of the patrons from USPACE hosted it at their house over in Burbank. It wasn't well advertised since I only heard about it the day before the event from Jason.

You know, that seems to be the case with most ukulele events here in Los Angeles - not well-advertised. But it's a good reminder that I should pay attention to USPACE more - since it's clear across town from me it's not usually on my radar... which is just a very L.A. thing to say, I know, I know :)

Top Bottom