nut width tenor?

shalomjj

Reaction score
Hi! Who finds that a 1 1/2 nut width on a tenor is better than 1 3/8. Any suggestions on lower cost models with at least a solid top that has a wider nut?

I honestly don't find it that much different although when I first started playing uke I thought it would be a big deal and I wanted 1.5" to have more room. Yes there is a bit more room but I am not sure of any situation where there are things I can't play just as easily on the narrower width. I have a Cordoba 30T-CE that has the 1.5" width and is on the higher end of lower cost. Every other uke I have (either tenor or baritone) has 1 3/8 although I am getting a custom baritone made and have decided to go with 1.5".

I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Córdoba 24t but ended up not getting it because of the 1.5" nut width. I find that I actually prefer a smaller width. I have no actual experience with the Córdoba but it has a solid cedar top at a very attractive price point. My favorite uke is my Kala cedar top (1 3/8 nut) so I was keen on getting another cedar.

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/24-series

With rather large, stubby fingers, I chose to learn on a Kala Acacia baritone with a 1.5" nut. Especially in the first position, I find that the little extra room much more comfortable. I have two instruments with 1 3/8 nuts and enjoy them too, but my "go to" fave is my custom Boat Paddle tenor with a 1 1/2 nut. Also, you should consider that the overall shape of the neck is about as important as the slight difference in width. Try all the ukes that you can to find one that fits you. And enjoy the ride.

Wow, anyone else try out the Kaka one. I saw it but thought it might be cheap.

I have gone with 1.5 inch on all my tenors and find it comfortable. My 8 string is even wider. My wife has a Collings concert with a 1 3/8 nut and I find that, although I can play it, it is a bit squeezy.

I think that Islander has a 1 1/2 inch nut.

Yes, all the Islanders have 1-1/2" nuts (38mm), even the sopranos, and they sound terrific for the money. You say you want at least a solid top, but check out the laminate Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor. (I have an MC-4 and a MAPG-4-T.)

One millimeter more between strings doesn't sound like much, but I find that a wider nut makes a noticeable difference in ease of playing. I have better accuracy with a lot of chords and fingerpicking, especially when playing campanella, with some of the scrunched finger positions.

One econo-uke I bought with a solid top and a wider nut was my Kamoa E3-T—not only is the top solid spruce, but the body is solid maple. This thing has impressive sound for the money. When I bought it, they were selling online for about $230, but now I think they're in the $250 range. See Uke Republic.

Lanikai has had several models with wider nuts. I have an LKP-T (laminate koa) and an SMP-TCA (solid monkeypod A/E), both with 1-1/2" nuts, but these lines have been discontinued. Their zebrawood line also had a wider nut. I don't know about their current offerings.

Oscar Schmidt offers several models with wider nuts, including at least one super-wide (1-3/4").

I'll also mention that the Opio tenor has a wider nut (37mm).

The 1 1/2 nut width is nice for finger picking. I believe Kanile'a have a 1 1/2 as standard

As you can see it really boils down to personal preference. Because of physical issues with my fingers I find 1-1/2" very difficult to barr cleanly so I play better and more effortlessly with 1-3/8". But again that is just me and it seems many people don't notice a difference. I would try before you buy if you can, especially if you have never played a 1-1/2" wide nut.

Top Bottom