My new Kasha-braced tenor project

ktuurna

Reaction score
Hi! I started my new tenor ukulele project. I want to make it using mostly Finnish ( oh yes, I am from Finland) materials. Sides, back and neck are alder (Alnus glutinosa) and soundboard is spruce (Picea abies). I will be Kasha-bracked and I will use Tenor Sized 14-Fret Ukulele Kasha-Braced plan from Georgia Luthier Supply, but I will do some little modifications.
Fretboard is little complicated. I wanted to make it using ebony, but because it doesn't grow in Finland, I have to do something else. I will use new nominated composite material, which is cellulose fibre-reinforced polystyrene for music instruments and it is developed by two Finnish companies Aqvacomp Oy and Flaxwood Oy (http://www.aqvacomp.fi/en/news/winners-of-the-wood-and-natural-fibre-composite-award-2015-announced/#more-90).
I have chosen those material because I want to know where they come from, and I like rainforests. I also think that local materials are better in our climate.
There are also interesting project http://www.leonardo-guitar-research.com/, and main goal of the project is to study, demonstrate and communicate the possibilities of building acoustic and classical guitars from non-tropical woods.
This is not very traditional ukuleleproject, but I am not very traditional person ;) and saving rainforests are more important to me than fancy looking exotic wood in my hands.
Please wish me luck for this building project! I will let you know how it goes.

I look forward to seeing this instrument and wish you well with the project. Is it your first build?

The subject of different types of wood for instruments is often discussed. In the guitar world, if you make to sell then buyers expect certain woods; in the uke world more woods are acceptable. However, if you make for yourself, then you can use anything. There are some on the forum, myself included, who often use recycled woods.

No this is not my first build, but first this kind of project.
And yes, that is true. I think that, but it is not easy to find that kind of recycled wood. I talked about that with professional luthiers, and they told me that it is ok, if you find good stuff for instrument. I did not found. This project is also my declaration on behalf of the rain forest.

Top Bottom