Anyone have a suggestion for a steel string guitar with wider nut?

spookelele

Reaction score
I like the classical string spacing, but I'm wanting steel strings.
Anyone have a suggestion?

The Blueridge Parlor guitars have a nut spacing of 1 & 7/8, which is wide for a steel string guitar.

Guitar Forum below!

Not sure what "classical string spacing" is ... my nylon-strung "Cleca" guitar is 1 3/16" E to e just like most of my steel-strung 6-string guitars. Apart from the obvious exception of the 12-string I have an old "Artia" with an E to e spacing of 1 1/2" that would have originally had steel strings (it's got a floating bridge and a tail-piece), but there's no truss rod so I've re-strung it with nylon to try save having it warp.

Unless you're happy with ultra-light steel strings I'd be very wary of stringing any guitar without a truss-rod with anything other than nylon.

Good luck :)

I'm a steel string player but if I'm not mistaken, classical or nylon spacing is usually around 2" at the nut. I've never heard of such with a steel string. 1.75" is the more common slightly wider spacing.
Someone mentioned Seagull...They do have some models with a 1.8" nut width. The S6 Original (not to be confused with the S6 SLIM), S6 Concert Hall, and some others are in that category. Those are in there less expensive line too. Less expensive does NOT mean cheap in this case.
I'm a big fan of Seagull myself. They are crafted in Canada and the price is very reasonable for what you get. I think they're every bit as good as Martins and Taylors (I have owned all three over the years) and at a more affordable price for the entry level lines. I'm speaking of build quality when I say that. Sound, feel, etc. etc. is all personal preference of course.

You can check them out at: http://www.seagullguitars.com
If you go that route, I'd suggest Elderly Instruments as a dealer if you buy online: http://www.elderly.com
Then you get a guitar that has been inspected and setup. That is included in the price.

Last edited:
Not sure of the price range that you are considering, but Larivee has a OOO with a 1 13/16" nut. My classical has a 2" nut and my Larrivee L09 has a 1 3/4" nut. There is a difference but I find that I adjust pretty quickly. If I play both regularly I don't even notice the spacing difference.
The more common (or as common) 1 11/16" I do find awkward. It's strange that such a small difference is that noticeable.

Just to echo the Seagull love... the OP didn't specify whether fingerstyle or strumming will be the style, but I have a S6 and an Entourage Mini Jumbo (both of which have 1.72" nut widths) and I love them both. Art & Lutherie and Simon and Patrick (also owned by Godin) are also great - I have the A&L Ami, which is a lovely parlor-size, and I'm jonesing for the S&P Woodland Pro Folk. If you're within driving distance of Canada, it might be worth the drive as the choices are better and the exchange rate isn't _too_ heinous at the moment.

Top Bottom