Jake "Live" CD review in local paper

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Happened to be looking at this morning's Rochester, NY Democrat & Chronicle, and found the following review by Jack Garner. Jack is a very highly regarded local film and music critic:

Jake Shimabukuro: Live. Many have raved about this unique ukulele player since he took last year's Rochester International Jazz Festival by storm. Hearing this just-released live disc, I understand the enthusiasm and regret all the more that I missed him. I won't make the same mistake this June. Live features tasty originals, his angelic interpretations of Bach and of Japanese traditional songs, a sophisticated tribute to legendary jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery, and, of course, his star-making turn on George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." He's reinvented the instrument, which is the peak of what you can ask of an artist.

I'm thinking Mr. Garner likes the disc. :D I am not a particular fan of jazz, and last July was before my uke days started, so I was completely unaware that Jake had been here. You can bet I'll catch him here in June! Can't wait!

For sure you want to see him live. It's a great show. He is my ukulele god -- not to be at all confused with ukulele heroes.

Aargh! It's ukulele! With a U!!

Annoyingly, the "e" spelling is not uncommon over here (UK).

That detail aside - nice positive review. :)

Top Bottom