Do you write your own music

AndieZ

Reaction score
I wonder how many of you enjoy writing your own songs?

I had never considered doing it before but lately i've been thinking about how i'd quite like to have a go down the track a bit.

If you do write your own, would you like to share (just your favourite one will do) them here. Or is there another thread where people all do that together in the one place.

I used to write children's books before I found music. Just ideas never published. I've always liked to write. Now I do write my own songs and it's so much fun. Hard work too though. Most of 'em are just junk, really, but a couple of 'em are enjoyed at open mics :) Here's just one for you to hear. This is from when I first learned to play the uke.

Guess it's time I redid this one with a proper voice, lol!

Get to writing and good luck!!

This is the last song I've written. The recording is a multi-track. Both instruments are ukulele's. An acoustic Baritone and a steel string electric Concert is the lead. Forgive Me,

Anthony

Good thread idea! No. My attention span is way to short. I wrote a song a few years ago, but it sucked.The worst part was putting it to music, that turned out worse than the lyrics.
I may take a stab at creating an instrumental tune, now that you've inspired me somewhat.

Everyone that's so great to hear. Thank you all for sharing. And Uke 1950, that's an interesting lesson you just shared having your very simple song brought up to speed. Its actually motivating to see that happen. So extra thanks.

I agree Bones, its time, and worth it rerecord in your normal voice.

well, you asked

Sorry no i didn't. I'd prefer you post just one.
Though i'm sure they are all superb. :)

Last edited:
Yes, But ...not for uke....oh hang on ....yes two.

Jack that sounds like it would lend itself very well to lyrics and I don't think it would be very hard actually. You've even given it a them. If i felt i had the time, i would love to have a go but since i don't, if i were you, i'd put it out there on the forum for someone else to have a go at coming up with some lyrics. Or you could even make a game of it. Let each person come up with a line and the next person has to come up with another line. As its your song, you could rework all the lyrics until you got something you liked.

I think when i get around to writing a song, I want to try to do the words and music at the same time, line by line.

I don't write songs, but every once in a while I come up with a parody of a song. Just this week one of the members of my uke group mentioned updating the Beach Boys song "409" with an electric car lyric. He's been doing a version, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. Here it is:

She's the best my Tesla S
She's the best my Tesla S
My Tes-la-S

Well I saved my thousands and will not digress
(Charger her up Charger her up Tesla S)
For I knew there would be no less
When I would buy a brand new Tesla S
(Tesla S, Tesla S)
Charger her up Charger her up Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my Tesla S
Tesla S ooooo
(Charger her up Charger her up oooo)
(Charger her up Charger her up)

When I take her on the road she's really best
She's always way faster than the rest
My one speed, all electric, ludicrous Tesla S
(Tesla S, Tesla S, Tesla S, Tesla S)

Charger her up Charger her up Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Teslsa...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my Tesla S
(Tesla S Tesla S Tesla S Tesla S)
Charger her up Tesla S
Charger her up Tesla S

I had stopped writing songs for guitar long before I took up the uke. I never expected to write my own stuff for the uke when I started but I remember new ideas just came pouring out from nowhere. I soon realized I was writing songs on the uke and for the uke. I also discovered that when I went travelling that song ideas about the cities I visited would appear when I was in my hotel room with my uke. Here is my fav. one I wrote in Berlin called "Room 51 in Kreuzberg."

Petey

I've written a few songs. Here's one:

https://youtu.be/IRzf6H5v0-E

Mostly, I write tunes. These are mainly for wind instruments but I often add a ukulele accompaniment when I record them. Here's a set of two of my tunes, a slow air and a quicker one.

https://youtu.be/n6B734x-3zo

Top Bottom