Bought it!

Mivo

Reaction score
SUS just got one in, and I snatched it up:

W6OUhQt.jpg

This is my first ukulele-related purchase that I actually thought long and hard about, and that had no element of impulse buying to it. Not because I suddenly tamed the UAS monster, but because it took several months for one of these to be available in Europe and I had to quasi-reserve it. :)

Should arrive end of next week, so, NUD then!

Awesome! Looking forward to reading your NUD!

Wow congratulations. I know you have been contemplating one of these for a while now. I was in a local music store and they had this exact model so I picked it up and fumbled around on it. I have no 6 six string chops but it sounded beautiful.

I am sure the wait will be much quicker and less painful then what you went through with the BR. I am more than a little envious because I love the sound of six strings........just can't play them.

Well done, may it give you everything you are looking for

Thanks, Laura and Dave! Quite excited about this, with just a trace of concern about the two extra strings. I liked the GL6 in all the videos that I had seen it in, and I know I'll love the size, but I never played anything with six strings, so this will be a challenge. At least four of them are tuned the same way as my tenor! :) This video contributed a lot to the desire to get a GL6.

It's in the setup/restringing stage right now, and they'll ship it on Monday. Three days from the UK to Germany, they estimate. A full week of anticipation! (Need to figure out how I'll go about learning this.)

A new adventure.

It really is, yes! Although I look at it as a ukulele with two extra strings, so I'll probably approach it from that direction, too (that is: not like a small guitar. but like a ukulele that happens to have two bass strings), and just play what I usually play and see how I can incorporate the bass notes. The alternative is to look at guitar study materials, but I'd rather build upon what I already know than to start from scratch again.

Some of the chord shapes scare me, making me wish I had an extra finger.

Congrats on making the purchase - now the waiting begins. :)

The chords will be fairly similar, but at times will just include an extra note or two, because you will have them on the fretboard, & you will get that fuller sound familiar to guitars.

Congrats! The wait and patience will help you appreciate it all that much more!

Some of the chord shapes scare me, making me wish I had an extra finger.

You might be able to purchase an extra finger from ebay.
(I hope that's not really true. LOL.)

I hope that the GL6 will be all that you hoped for and more. Enjoy!!

Congrats. I played one in a local shop too and it was quite good. The tone was solid up the neck and very even sounding. the spacing was really good for an instrument of that size.

Congrats on your soon to arrive new baby!
Like Dave, I can't play 6 strings either.....but if I could, this type uke would be a big possibility of UAS for me!

Mivo, this is gorgeous! I hope you have the time of your life figuring it out. And figure it out, you will!

Play with joy!

You might be able to purchase an extra finger from ebay.
(I hope that's not really true. LOL.)

I hope that the GL6 will be all that you hoped for and more. Enjoy!!

Wouldn't you need two extra fingers?

Wow...that one is beautiful GL-6!

I went from guitar to ukulele, so I play my GL-6 just as I would a guitar. My other guitars just sit unused. The GL-6 is all I'll need in a guitar since I mostly play ukulele these days.

Congrats !!!

It really is, yes! Although I look at it as a ukulele with two extra strings, so I'll probably approach it from that direction, too (that is: not like a small guitar. but like a ukulele that happens to have two bass strings), and just play what I usually play and see how I can incorporate the bass notes.

GL6 is not as small as guitalele. It has enough scale for regular guitar tuning instead of guitalele tuning. I think you can enjoy nice guitar sound on it with proper strings.

GL6 is not as small as guitalele. It has enough scale for regular guitar tuning instead of guitalele tuning.

Oh, I definitely do want the requinto/guitarlele tuning (ADGCEA), though, that's why I got a guitarlele instead of a guitar. :) Buying the GL6 is basically the result of me really liking the baritone scale and the low D, but also really (and surprisingly) enjoying the sound of the low-G tuning on my tenor and wanting the sparkling sound of the treble strings. The GL6 has both, plus an extra bass string.

Top Bottom