What Baritone should I get

edsdds

Reaction score
I have been looking around at Baritones and there are quite a few differences. Some sound like a Ukulele, others sound like a Classical Guitar, and others like a Ukulele.

I noticed some have a wound D string too. Does that matter?

I would want something around $200 maybe even with a solid a top?

As far as sound I wouldn't mind if it sounded like all 3 guitars above LOL

What do you recommend?

I was going to suggest the one in the Marketplace, too!

Looks mighty tempting!

I do understand your dilemma, edsdds. The cedar-top Mainland I recently acquired sounds classical guitar-esqe, with it's DGBE tuning and wound strings. I love it, but it was a sound I was looking for. My love for the Mainland doesn't stop me from lusting after a vintage mahogany sound too!

That Harmony in the marketplace is a nice deal. You can get a Cordoba solid mahogany topped bari for a hair over $150 for a factory refurb and the equivalent Ohana model from MIMS for a hair over $200. Big sounding baris for the money.

Wow that is a cool uke I think I would be scared to have something so old and all solid here in Minnesota

I have an Ohana BK-20 that has laminate back and sides with a solid mahogany top that would be in your price range. It was purchased from Elderly music, so the set-up is great. Comes with an Ohana gig bag and strung with Living Waters strings (all fluorocarbon strings, no wound). It is a great uke. Only selling to help fund a custom baritone. Send me a PM if you are interested.

On Facebook there's a "Tenor Guitar and Baritone Ukuleke" group, and the postings there are full of sound samples and such. Listening to a few there may help in choosing.

I have a Kala KA-BE baritone and it's okay. If the OP wants a baritone with tuner/pickup installed, it's not a bad deal and within the OP's budget.

Bari opinions

How your uke is strung depends on what sounds good to you. And, different strings do make instruments sound differently so don't be concerned with experimenting.
I find the Kala bari's to offer the best sound for their price. I think they are around $250 - $300 and solid tops. I know this is a little over your limit but I must warn you against getting something cheap. I did that with my first uke and it almost put me off from getting another. Some ukes are priced on their name but go with something that sounds good and does not necessarily have some big deal name. I have a Kamaka ( big deal name, good uke ) and a Pono ( about half the Kamaka price ) and I play the hell out of the Pono.
DO NOT buy a uke without hearing it in person. They can have a wide range of sound.
Keep us posted on your choices.

Last edited:
When my wife and I decided to learn to play ukes about 5 yrs ago , we looked at bari's in your price range. We settled on Kala acacia koa similar to the one you are looking at. After all this time and several customs, they're still one of our favorites. I truly think that these have been the best bang for the buck of all our ukes. They seem to just get better with age. Look around on the resale sites and I'm sure you can pick up a good used one in the $200 or so range. Good luck.

When my wife and I decided to learn to play ukes about 5 yrs ago , we looked at bari's in your price range. We settled on Kala acacia koa similar to the one you are looking at. After all this time and several customs, they're still one of our favorites. I truly think that these have been the best bang for the buck of all our ukes. They seem to just get better with age. Look around on the resale sites and I'm sure you can pick up a good used one in the $200 or so range. Good luck.

Yes I have been looking at those. Kala seems to be really nice. So if I was to pick exactly how I want it it would be as follows

• Baritone
  • White/Cream binding
  • Solid Top but not sides so I don't have to baby the thing as much
  • Slotted headstock

I can't find one exactly like that but pretty close so far. I am also making a drive after work today for what I think might be a super duper find.........i don't want to jinx it LOL. More to come on that.

I think that vintage Harmony is the ticket. When I was shopping for a Baritone somebody recommended a vintage Silvertone (basically the same uke) and it was exactly what I wanted. Man, what a sound..

I second everyone's take on the Harmony. It's a good opportunity and a good price to get a 19" vintage baritone in good shape, and that has a distinct tone. You won't lose money on it when you resell it. (Frequently envy you North Americans and the great stuff you can get in the Marketplace... then again, I'd probably impulse-buy often!) The Kala that Ubulele mentioned would be my pick for an affordable modern baritone.

I just didn't care for the sound of the Harmony. Here is what is for sale locally to me and I went to check it out

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5769817863.html

Granted it was old and scratched up a little with new strings though. But it had no resonance to me and sounded lifeless compared to my daughters Luna and Ohana. Maybe it could use a setup, better strings, tuners that stay in tune etc. But overall a heck of a deal but not my cup of tea after actually playing it.

I think I am going with the BK20

*preparing for the flaming for not buying the Harmony*

Top Bottom