Kala Black Rectified Nylon Strings

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I am on Kala's mailing list and this came across today...thought it might be of interest to some people.

Introducing the NEW
Kala Rectified Black Nylon Strings
Available now
The Kala Rectified Black Nylon Ukulele Strings are centerless ground to produce a smooth texture and consistent diameter. This produces a more comfortable string with impressive intonation. The sound is warm, crisp, and direct.

Closed circuit to Booli...still waiting to hear back from Aquila/Córdoba USA about availability of those KIDS colored strings for $2 a pack.

That's interesting. I'm wondering if these strings are manufactured by D'addario, and equivalent to their Pro-Arte Rectified Nylons. The description from the D'addario website uses similar words to describe the product:

"Pro-Arté Rectified Nylon
The original ukulele offering from D’Addario, each black nylon string is carefully center-less ground to an ultra-smooth, ultra-precise final diameter for excellent feel and unparalleled intonation with a warm, long lasting acoustic tone."

^ Yep, I bet they are indeed the D'Addario strings just repackaged. That's true for a lot of strings though. There aren't that many actual string manufacturers out there.
If I remember correctly, these are also the highest tension strings in the D'addario uke lineup.

In that sample video the strings seem to have a very low volume output, a narrow dynamic range, and very little sustain...

Not my cup of tea, but some folks may like them...YMMV...I tend to want strings that are the exact opposite of these...

IIRC when watching a 'behind the scenes' video for Aquila, Mimmo's daughter mentioned that there are (or were) originally only five string-making 'FAMILIES' that all came from the same part of Italy a long time ago, and now all the string companies we see, except for the Japanese ones, are evolved from those original 'FAMILIES'...I dont have the link handy, but will try to dig thru my bookmarks if there is interest...

^ Yep, I bet they are indeed the D'Addario strings just repackaged. That's true for a lot of strings though. There aren't that many actual string manufacturers out there.
If I remember correctly, these are also the highest tension strings in the D'addario uke lineup.

My bet is on LaBella, since thy are the ones making the Kala U-Bass wound string sets.

I think they sound pretty great for a nylon string. I like the high tension.

What is the model number for the D'Addorio or LaBella?

IIRC when watching a 'behind the scenes' video for Aquila, Mimmo's daughter mentioned that there are (or were) originally only five string-making 'FAMILIES' that all came from the same part of Italy a long time ago, and now all the string companies we see, except for the Japanese ones, are evolved from those original 'FAMILIES'...I dont have the link handy, but will try to dig thru my bookmarks if there is interest...

I remember seeing a clip in which Mimmo (or his representative) says that although Savarez are French their main man comes from the same village as the Aquila strings.

Top Bottom