Concert ukulele strings

secretgarden

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good set of strings for a High G concert ukulele whose voice is so high that it sounds like a harp? I have an Ibanez Concert spalted maple and needless to say it has a really high voice that makes it ideal to play music such as Christmas caroles and other music of that caliber. I'm thinking of purchasing concert PHD concert strings but I'm uncertain if they would work. There are so many options and I would love to hear what my peers say.

Thanks

SG

I'm exploring a similar issue to you at the moment. I bought a Mele Mango Concert earlier this year, which has very high, bright, tones, which suited me well because it contrasts with my acacia tenor, which has very deep, mellow tones. It came with a nylon (tynex) low G set made by Mele, which I eventually changed out for a high G set of the same make. The nylon had a very high twangy sound, which I quite liked as a contrast to my tenor, but it tended to sound a little bit tinny as well, so I changed it to some Aquila reds this week. I find that the reds are a little bit more full-voiced, and definitely a lot louder. I also like that you can play all the way up to the 14th fret on the A string without losing volume or tone (you lose a little bit of volume on the 15th fret). I've kept all the things I like about the brightness and individuality of the uke, while generally improving the sound. I've also got a set of PHDs tucked away to try out later, but I haven't tried them yet. Please let me know what you think about the PHDs if you decide to buy them.

On my concert KoAloha I like the bright sound produced by Fremont Blackline medium strings. Good luck in your search!

Thank you so much for your replies so far. Another problem that I face is that I can't put dark coloured strings on it since its a spalted maple which means its a very light coloured wood. Any colour other than white or clear would like heck.

If you want to stick with clear strings I would go with Worth Clears. They are rather bright to my ears. If you do decide to sway from your "white or clear" rule, Aquila Reds are the absolute brightest strings I have ever played. When I first put them on I was taken back a little by their sound. Now I quite like them.

You'll likely have a hard time getting brighter strings than Aquilas. I have a solid spruce topped maple concert I've been wanting to put some Fremont Blacks on. They are high tension and I think the black would look cool on them as well.

Not sure what you're asking for. Do you want to tone down the brightness of your Ibanez? Or, keep it bright?

Martins would keep it bright and are easily available in most music stores and are clear.

Worth browns will mellow it out, as will Fremont blacklines and they will look fine on your light colored uke. I had Worth browns on my Ohana cedar top and it looked (and sounded) really cool IMO.

Worth Clears and Living Waters... that's what I'm thinking.

I use Soprano strings on my concert. They are slightly thinner, and slightly brighter. I did it by accident several years ago by grabbing a wrong set and put them on. Didn't realize it until after I strung it. But after I played it, liked the sound better, been using soprano strings on the concert since.

PHD 's are nice, but I find they work much better with a low G like a Fremont Soloist. Living Waters are all around nicely toned and the Martins are a bit brighter and well priced. Oasis Brights are loud with good sustain, and of course there is a Southcoast for just about every occasion, style, tension and tone. So many strings, so little restringing time........................

Top Bottom