16 inch scale length?

shalomjj

Reaction score
I find that a 17 inch scale length on a tenor is just a bit long for some of the chords but 15 inch on a concert is a bit too short. Anyone know of any good concerts or tenors that have scale lengths around 16 inches?

Kamaka makes the Otha San which has a 16" scale length on a concert body. David Ingalls of Ono ukuleles builds a 16" concert. He is a custom builder, I have one of these and they are wonderful. I do not know of any mass produced ukes with this scale length.

One can always capo a neck to reduce the overall scale length. Since the purpose of the capo is as a "movable nut," changing the scale length (and the subsequent tuning) offer infinite possibilities.

Kamaka makes the Otha San which has a 16" scale length on a concert body. David Ingalls of Ono ukuleles builds a 16" concert. He is a custom builder, I have one of these and they are wonderful. I do not know of any mass produced ukes with this scale length.

In addition to what Dave mentions, Cocobolo Ukuleles also makes a 16" concert. I have seen some posts lately regarding the limited availability of Cocobolo ukuleles and I do not know where that stands, but they could be an option as well.

I personally have been in touch with David Ingalls regarding a 16" concert because my Ono pineapple is absolutely amazing! His work is top notch!

You can get most custom builders to make a 16" scale instrument. I personally like the Otah-San very much. As previously mentioned Ono makes them. Dave Talsma has made at least one (he told me he could make any scale length ukulele you want).

As mentioned above, Kamaka (Ohta-San), and Ono are both superior. Michael Smith of Goat Rock Ukuleles is currently building a 16" scale concert for me. BTW my Ohta-San will be for sale shortly.

As noted, Ono makes one and there is a mango 16" that HMS just received. And that mango is absolutely premium wood!

I also have one (AYC/Myrtle). David definitely punches above his weight in terms of what you get at the price point. Highly recommended.

There are also a few 15.5" options - concert neck Fluke and Flea. Also KPK longneck soprano

The demo video just went up on the Vimeo site. It should appear for sale on the HMS site in a day or two I would think.

Wow, some of you must watch very closely to be able to find all the new videos!
Thanks. I shouldn't be looking, but, well, you know...I just want to look.

The HMS Vimeo site is a great resource for comparing the sound of many instruments. And watching Corey and Kalei play is inspiring, except when it depresses me because I'll never be in their league. :)

Allen McFarlen (Barron River Ukes http://www.brguitars.com/ ) makes an amazingly good 16" concert. Trevor Gollagher (also in Australia - http://www.trevorgollaghermusic.com/ ) Retails Barron River Uke and usually has a small inventory if you don't want to wait for a custom to be built for you.

If you keep the Bling level down and take into account the AUS$/US$ exchange rate, you can get a great instrument for a great price.

I have a very good friend who bought a Barron River 16" scale concert from Trevor recently. I played it recently and thought it equal, if not better than most any Uke I have ever played. Highly recommend you check these out.

Set up a capo on 1st fret on your 17 inch uku and make a 16 inch uke. See what happens. I think not much difference though.

Top Bottom