PDA

View Full Version : 6-String Spacing

SheriDi
09-15-2016, 07:32 AM
I've built a few guitars (with and without adult supervision), and one ukulele (in a class), and am now working on 4 ukuleles. I want to make 2 of them 6 string but am not sure how to space the strings.

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to take a picture of the nut and saddle of their 6-string, with a ruler so I can get an idea of good spacing.

Also, has anyone ever laminated fretboards? Two of my ukes are made of quilted maple and I'd like to also have a quilted maple fretboard, but don't have a good piece that is thick enough. I've laminated leftover side material, but have yet to commit to actually using it.

Thanks for any help!

Sven
09-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Hi. Can't help you with string spacing but I assume you'll have two doubled strings? My experience with a single eight string tenor I built was the slots in the nut should be closer together than I thought, had to make a new nut.

The laminate fretboard, go for it. If the glue line bothers you on the edge then bind it.

SheriDi
09-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks Sven, I am intending to bind the fretboard. Since I've never done that before it will be a good learning experience.