NUUD=New-Used-Uke-Day

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am the very happy second owner of a Kinnard mahogany baritone. This instrument was ordered new last year by one of our UU members. He has been bitten by the madolin bug and asked me if I would like to buy this baritone, "yes sir" I said.

It is unique in the fact that it has a 19" scale length which leads it to sound very good tuned Bb. I have had this about three weeks, it came tuned DGBE and it sounded too mellow and almost dull to my ears. Tuned B flat it really comes alive, so too in B tuning. At some point I may try it in GCEA, just as if it were a big bodied long neck tenor.

This is my first Kinnard and everything that has been said about John Kinnard as a meticulous builder is true. It is the base model with a few up grades. It is built with honduran mahogany, it has Gotoh UPT tuners, a side sound port, rosewood tail graft, headstock and mother of pearl logo. The 19" scale length is shorter than standard making it easy to play and versatile with different tunings. After I bought it I talked to Kevin Beddoe who represents Kinnard and he could not have been nicer. His reputation is well earned and deserved as he welcomed me into the Kinnard family even though I had not ordered it from him.

20160914_161541.jpg20160914_161619.jpg20160914_161629.jpg20160914_161654.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. How do you like the sound port?

Wow!!! So happy for you Dave. I "so" want a Kinnard soprano ROTFL.....never gonna happen but I am super happy and lucky to have my Loprinzi.
You will get so much joy from this and it was such a lucky coincidence that this opportunity came up. Thanks for posting pics - it is gorgeous!!!!

Congrats, Dave! :) I speculate that Bb and B generally do work best with 19" scale baritones, and the 4th string won't be so flabby, either. Enjoy!

I can confirm this is one sweet Mahogany Kinnard Baritone ride .... smmmmmmooooooth! Nice buy, Dave!

First in line ... is all I am saying ... :cool:

Good God Dave! What a catch! Congratulations! Listened to the sound sample, Wow! If you have any other friends wanting to re-home a Kinnard Bari please speak well of me.

DownUpDave, I'm so thrilled for you! You know I'm a card carrying Kinnard Fanatic, so hope you'll really enjoy this beauty. Many, many congrats!

Excellent addition to your baritone section.
Nice looking too.

attachment.php

Good God Dave! What a catch! Congratulations! Listened to the sound sample, Wow! If you have any other friends wanting to re-home a Kinnard Bari please speak well of me.

Hey Hollis ... back off, that's my sandwich! LOL

Wow!!! So happy for you Dave. I "so" want a Kinnard soprano ROTFL.....never gonna happen but I am super happy and lucky to have my Loprinzi.
You will get so much joy from this and it was such a lucky coincidence that this opportunity came up. Thanks for posting pics - it is gorgeous!!!!

Thanks Casey. I feel very lucky to have been offered this. There is a sound sample now up on post #8.

Congrats, Dave! :) I speculate that Bb and B generally do work best with 19" scale baritones, and the 4th string won't be so flabby, either. Enjoy!

You are so right about the tension, feels great at those tunings. Because this is a 19" scale length and it is tuned down I used the same strings as I would on a 17" tenor tuned GCEA. Thomastik CF30, CF27 and Worth CT for #2 & #1 positions. I have had a couple really good players give it a work out and everybody loves the sound and tension.

Top Bottom