Cracked Grover tuner button

2xbass

Reaction score
It seems I have managed to crack the black button (I would personally call it a "knob" but it seems "button" is the correct term) on one of the Grover tuners on my LFDM tenor. This is the part you put your fingers on to turn the tuner. I am not sure how it happened but likely involved a string winder in some way even though I am quite careful and there would never be much reason to use much force when winding. I am not sure how deep the crack is. You can certainly see it on the surface on one side. I have a feeling it is quite deep and eventually the button will probably split. The tuner seems to be a Grover Sta-Tite #9 series. I've written to Luis to ask it to confirm. I think the button is just plastic. Does anybody know if the button can simply be screwed off and replaced?

Last edited:
Can you take a photo?
Thanks.
FYI, if it is a small crack you might get away with using super-glue or some other adhesive to repair the crack.
Unless the replacement part is cheap, which it could be.

Last edited:
It's the tuner here on the left side of the photo. I am quite sure this is not just a scratch but an actual crack as I'm sure I can feel it giving somewhat when pressure is applied. It doesn't appear to go all the way down to the underside of the button. I can work around it a bit by applying pressure only to the other side of the button when I need to turn the peg.

489918BE-FCD4-4E86-8E8C-924EE5A31A12.jpg

Last edited:
From what I can see on the Grover site you have to replace the whole peg with the button.

Sweetwater has them for $16, which is $4 cheaper and also free shipping.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9NB

At this price, even if you throw away the un-needed parts, I would ask myself how much is my time worth to mickey-mouse with superglue and have it maybe still crack later on?

Surely your time is worth more than $16, and the 5 mins to loosen the string, unscrew the SINGLE screw that holds the gear to the peg, and then swap out the tuner arm with the button for a new one that you pulled from the package from the new set, and then replace the gear and screw?

Easy-peasy. Only tools needed are a string-winder and a #2 Phillips-head screwdriver. :)

Yes I would just replace them. Problem however is I now found there are two tuners with similar cracks. I think I will need to be more careful with the string winder.

Sweetwater has them for $16, which is $4 cheaper and also free shipping.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9NB

At this price, even if you throw away the un-needed parts, I would ask myself how much is my time worth to mickey-mouse with superglue and have it maybe still crack later on?

Surely your time is worth more than $16, and the 5 mins to loosen the string, unscrew the SINGLE screw that holds the gear to the peg, and then swap out the tuner arm with the button for a new one that you pulled from the package from the new set, and then replace the gear and screw?

Easy-peasy. Only tools needed are a string-winder and a #2 Phillips-head screwdriver. :)

Booli, you're a great comparison shopper!

Booli, you're a great comparison shopper!

Thanks! :)

I had bought these from Sweetwater in the past, 4 sets of the very same Grover 9NB in fact, and I had done the comparison shopping for these over a year ago - some places online are in fact selling the SAME uke tuners for over $50 which is highway robbery if you ask me. Caveat Emptor!

Sweetwater is my go-to for lots of things :)

You can always try eBay. They will quite likely have someone who sells replacement buttons

Top Bottom