What strings are you using the Fremont Soloist with?

Mivo

Reaction score
I ordered a few Fremont Soloist low-G strings from Lucy's Ukuleles on eBay because all the recommendations have gotten me curious. :)

Those of you who swear by the Soloist, have you found strings that go particularly well with it? Or strings that you felt didn't fit?

I like the Freemont Blacklines with the Soloist, but it depends on the uke wood.
That was my go-to string set and a string set that others I know like to use.
Unfortunately, the Freemont Low G /Blackline combo doesn't work well with my Breedlove tenor spruce top/sapele back/side uke. This is the first time this has happened with Freemonts.
Although someone I know with a tenor bear claw spruce/myrtle back/sides loves the Freemont Low G/Blackline combo and it sounds great on that uke.

A Savarez classical guitar treble set might be a nice mix with the Freemont Low G.
Any Savarez R treble strings are normal tension and should work well with the Freemont. Although I would try to add a wound C to your set too(if tenor sized)

Last edited:
I'm using Worth Brown's on a Blackbird BTU with the Fremont soloist and am very happy with that pairing.

Worth browns are the worst strings I have ever used. Expensive and thuddy. Unresponsive and flaccid in the hand compared to other strings. Bottomline: way too floppy.
There are much better strings for the money. IMHO.
Buy some Thomastik Infeld 127's if you are going to spend worth brown money.

I'm using Living Water clear fluorocarbons with a soloist low G on my mahogany concert. I'm enjoying the combination, works well for my style of play, fingerpicking, Arpeggios and Campanella.

I'm using Living Water fluorocarbon on my LoPrinzi walnut soprano. The combo with Freemont wound low G Is nicely balanced and I like the tension, feel and tone. I like that the FM wound is not too squeaky.

I've used the Fremont Soloist with both Worth Clears (On a couple of Mya Moe tenors) and Southcoast on my Boat Paddle ML Tenor.

Like them but have run out now and have recently put a Savarez on my BP with Southcoast. I think that's a good combo also.

Expensive and thuddy. Unresponsive and flaccid in the hand compared to other strings. Bottomline: way too floppy.
There are much better strings for the money. IMHO.

I could not disagree more. They are truly amazing on my Laughlin! I stayed away for them for quite a while because of how much I dislike Worth Clears. Like most strings, they are not for everyone/every uke. It's great that we have so many choices.

I have Oasis warms paired with a soloist on my Howlett Koa. I'm not sold on the warms yet (at least on this uke), still experimenting...

I could not disagree more. They are truly amazing on my Laughlin! I stayed away for them for quite a while because of how much I dislike Worth Clears. Like most strings, they are not for everyone/every uke. It's great that we have so many choices.

I have Oasis warms paired with a soloist on my Howlett Koa. I'm not sold on the warms yet (at least on this uke), still experimenting...

Glad to hear you are liking them...
but like I said, there are much better strings for the money.

Very happy with the results of Martin M600 fluoros + Fremont Soloist on my low G uke. I thought the Soloist went well with Aquila Nylguts too but the "new" Nylgut formula buzzes on all of my Kamakas, so... sticking with the Martins.

Every florocarbon set that I have tried and liked on a uke go well with the Fremont Soloist. This includes. South Coast, Oasis warm and bright, Worth Clears, Fremont black lines, Phd. The Fremont Soloist has such a great sound and tension that I like it on everything.

Top Bottom