Nrud

dwh

Reaction score
Nrud Donmo

I wanted to share a little story about a resonator uke I just received. Last March I contacted a gentleman on Reverb who had an older Donmo resonator uke for sale. We came to a deal, and I sent him the $. I guess as he was getting ready to pack it up he found a note written by the gentleman from which he had acquired it which said... that if the new owner ever wanted to part with it, to contact him (the original seller), as he would like first dibs to get it back. Well as anticipation was setting in, the seller contacted me and told me this story and he refunded my $ :(
So I did a little research and found out the the original owner was CraftedCow on this site. So, since the story seemed a little...well...fabricated, I called CraftedCow and spoke to him about the transaction. He said he indeed had sold the man the uke and that he was receiving it back as per the note. Ok I felt better that I was not being deceived.
So, knowing that Donmo didn't seem to be making ukes anymore, I was really bummed, but contacted him anyway. After telling him my story, he agreed to build me a custom Rustbucket tenor. So I've waited since March and it showed up this week!
The body is scavenged galvanized steel, the neck is Native Australian Cypress Pine, the fret board is Australian native Mulga, the bridge and biscuit are stained maple. It is a simply wonderful instrument that has that, as Don said "worn out rural look". The sound is unique, chimey, loud and well... resonating! The neck is carved perfectly for my hand, and it is super fun to play! I am so stoked that I have barely put the thing down for the last 3 days. Just thought I'd share!

Attachments

• donmo1.jpg
    donmo1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 110
  • donmo2.jpg
    donmo2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Congratulations. It's a real beauty alright. That's a reso I'd love to own.

I like a story with a happy ending. It's unlikely you'll come across too many people with a ukulele just like yours. Enjoy

Very cool. And it was great that the person who bought the uke from CraftedCow stuck to his word (yeah, would've been best if he remembered before he listed it, but still, most people would have just proceed with their transaction). And extra cool that Donmo stepped up for you! ;-)

Congrats! A cool reso with a neat storyline. Nice resouke group on facebook just in case you had missed it. Good luck and have a ball with it.

That's a great story, and a beautiful instrument. Love the emu footprints.

Any chance of a sound sample? I had a look on UkeTube and found very few examples of Donmo ukulele (but those I did find were really nice).

I'll see what I can do. I have a busy weekend ahead but will try.

Great story, just another indication of the good people involved in ukuleles. I've been toying with the idea of modifying a bass uke into a pseudo-resonator, but I'm holding off until I get two other mods done. (Forgive me for hijacking your thread, but your post made me think back on this one.)

Resonator bass purple 800.jpg

Congrats! What a unique uke!

I really like how it sounds! (I wish I didn't! :p) Hmm, yes, really does have a unique sound. Nicely played, too.

Thanx Dan, I wasn't trying very hard, so please pardon the missed notes and chords! I may add a finger style track later!

Top Bottom