NUD Bonanza Flatlander concert ukulele

Pirate Jim

Reaction score
I don't usually get around to these but there are precious few threads on Bonanza ukes so I thought it might be useful. Yesterday I took delivery of my Flatlander concert uke (delivery was only 2 days from the US to the UK - that's faster than domestic post!). I haven't put it down since - even had it standing on its end on the kitchen worktop as I cooked dinner last night!

I'm hoping to do a full review once I've had some more time with it. I am very impressed, though, sounds lovely and has great sustain - I barely lose any volume when hammering on notes. Intonation is very good. Doesn't have the same level of volume as my main tenor uke (Uluru solid mahog) but I have had complaints at drowning out singers with that one so a bit quieter is no bad thing :D

Photos below, any questions let me know. One of the main things to note is that Shelley and Pete were fantastic to deal with. From choosing the materials to specific setup points (such as having the strap pin on the back so it would still stand on its end) they were very fast to respond and really friendly. They even put fret markers on the side of the fretboard for me - first time ever as a lefty I've had that with a uke! I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. The setup they did was just perfect as well - I have a real annoyance with fret edges, whether it's feeling them as I play up the neck or catching my nails on them as I pick. Not a rough edge in sight on this one, effortless to play. If you want the bombproofness of a Clara but don't have all the money it's a great alternative.

20160916_080749.jpg20160916_080757.jpg20160916_083845.jpg

Oh, and even though it's an odd shape it still fits in a concert pod style case!

Congratulations on your Bonanza! I got a baritone from them last year. Pete and Shelley are great! And Pete makes a nice uke. And darn near indestructible! The strings that came on mine were a little floppy, so I switched them out to Martins and they drive the top very well.

bonanza.jpg

Congrats! I'd be scared that if I left it on my counter top, I wouldn't be able to find it later...

Thanks Jim. We do try. The left handed part was a little challenging.:rolleyes:

Congratulations on the new uke! Also, thank you for posting pics since, you're correct, there are hardly any reviews of Bonanza's on this site.
Given the materials they use, are they heavy to hold? Heavy in weight?

Last edited:
Granite uke...bet the sound is rock solid!

Congratulations on the new uke! Also, thank you for posting pics since, you're correct, there are hardly any reviews of Bonanza's on this site.
Given the materials they use, are they heavy to hold? Heavy in weight?

Good question! I always found Martin's HPL guitars to be heavy as heck. Never ran into one their HPL ukes, though. I might like an HPL tenor of some sort.

Cheers all! WCBarnes - love the pattern you chose for your baritone. My concert has come with flourocarbons already and they sound pretty good. I'm going to try and resist my usual merry-go-round with string changes on a new uke and just get used to playing it for a moment if I can.

igorthebarbarian and OhioBelle - it is a little heavier than a wooden uke. I noticed it the first time I picked it up, particularly as my tenor uke is exceedingly light, and then haven't noticed it at all since as it's really comfy to play. The laminate is thin and the bracing fairly minimal so when I say a little heavier I do mean a little - I've been playing standing up without using a strap and it's no bother to hold at all. I can see how a dreadnought guitar made of similar stuff might end up hefty though!

UkerDanno - I guess it's fortunate I'm into rock music :rock:

Cool looking uke, congrats. It will get noticed when you play with others.

The hi def laminates are about 10% heavier than a comparable size wood one.

I currently have a ukulele carousel table on order from them. They were at the SCIUC near Two Harbors MN last month and will be at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival in 2 weeks.

The laminates are made from kitchen counter laminate. They can actually provide you with a book of colors to work from, and now they also match the material on the headstock of the ukulele, too (nice touch).

I'm quite taken by their new wood ukuleles, which are made in a unique way, where the top and bottom are cut out with a CNC machine, with the bracing provided in top and bottom of the original piece of wood. They are also committed to sustainable woods and North American woods (they are located in Northern Minnesota), and can do custom laser engraving (see Petey Mack'a new Baritone).

If you are looking for the sound of a K model ukulele--these ukuleles are not going to provide that. They will however, look good and sound very nice--at a fraction of a K model, even personalized!

If you are looking for the sound of a K model ukulele--these ukuleles are not going to provide that. They will however, look good and sound very nice--at a fraction of a K model, even personalized!

Couldn't have put it better myself! The value for money of these ukes is amazing given they're built to order and the sound is far better than I was expecting. I'm pleased as punch with it.

P-Jim, would you say the shape of yours gives it a louder sound vs. a traditional waist?

I love the idea of a laminate tenor standing by my desk at work, ready for me to sneak in a strum or two. My only dilemma would be picking which laminate to use! Their website says EVERY color Wilsonart makes! Ack! Too many choices. Yours looks very nice.

P-Jim, would you say the shape of yours gives it a louder sound vs. a traditional waist?

I love the idea of a laminate tenor standing by my desk at work, ready for me to sneak in a strum or two. My only dilemma would be picking which laminate to use! Their website says EVERY color Wilsonart makes! Ack! Too many choices. Yours looks very nice.

I honestly couldn't say as I've not tried a Bonanza uke with a traditional waist - Pete has been chipping in on this thread so maybe he can give you a definitive answer. If I had to guess I'd say it's likely to make very little difference. I went for the Flatlander shape a) because I have several traditional-shaped ukes and wanted something a bit different and b) I love being able to stand it on its end. If you want something standing by your desk then go for the Flatlander - any volume difference is likely to be minimal.

As for choosing, it was a nightmare! Sooo many choices! I like mine as it looks like a galaxy and I'm a big sci fi fan so it really appealed.

I went for the Flatlander shape a) because I have several traditional-shaped ukes and wanted something a bit different and b) I love being able to stand it on its end. If you want something standing by your desk then go for the Flatlander - any volume difference is likely to be minimal.

As for choosing, it was a nightmare! Sooo many choices! I like mine as it looks like a galaxy and I'm a big sci fi fan so it really appealed.

Yep, I'm thinking Flatlander. I have plenty that look traditional, which is a look I love. But I also love the idea of giving a nod to the mid-20th-century uke renaissance with a different shape and material. The retro designs from Wilsonart are pretty cool.

Yours DEFINITELY looks like a galaxy. It's gone where no uke has gone before :cool:

I don't want to write too much on this thread...I'm thinking about ordering a custom for our school made out of Aspen (North American trees, different tone woods). They also had a ukulele made out of a cherry cabinet door that was beautiful!

The flatlanders had a very nice sound...I am thinking of going to the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival in two weeks, and if I do, I will certainly do some recordings.

That said, Petey Mack was sent six different Bonanza Ukuleles about a year ago, and he recorded short YouTube clips with each...including the traditional and flatlander series (I can paste them in the thread...maybe will do that). The new wood models (not the laminate) have only been in production since May or June. Incidentally, Petey bought a Bonanza to travel with, and Ukester Brown has a matching model.

INTRO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jA_KUFHcg
Ukulele #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCf3gatrsw
Ukulele #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpP3v6nRTM
Ukulele #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeCBw_04JlQ
Ukulele #4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOHty8a5e8
Ukulele #5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buwDzGOmea8
Ukulele #6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTu5nDD8P7Y
Ukulele #7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saond5gh4jc
And Petey's new customized baritone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wd2WSiWgAA

I will be doing some volume comparisons for the two styles in same size, once this latest batch settles a bit. We will have them at Milwaukee Uke fest, and at the Ohio ukulele campout, so if you are at either of those, OhioBelle, stop and check them out. There is more of a tonal difference than volume in my opinion. I have the same size and laminate as Ukester. His is traditional style and mine is a Flatlander, and I can't say I noticed a big difference in volume.

Top Bottom