Martin 5k reissue

Subfanatic

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a pre-owned one lately? I've only been able to find one online. I would love to see one in person. Anyone purchased one recently?

I was looking at one recently online. It was gorgeous, except I cannot get over why they did not use a nice looking koa bridge but instead used a plain piece of wood. Sticks out like a sore thumb to my eyes.

It really does stick out, even at a glance. The only drawback that I see as far as looks go. It's almost like they ran out of supplies and just found a scrap of wood laying around. Wondering if some type of oil could be rubbed into it to give it a more finished look.

Why would a company that makes such fine guitars cheapen up on their ukuleles?
I've played a couple of the "new" Martins, and I think they are way overpriced. Just MHO.

The bridge is a bridge. It is made out of wood. New wood looks different to wood that has aged.

I don't think it's an aged thing. Vintage 5K's typically have bridges made from koa with some figuring, so it ties in to the overall look. While I believe the new ones have bridges made from koa, I've yet to see one with any figuring whatsoever. I could be any wood. As a result, it sticks out like a sore thumb to some people's eyes since there isn't anything plain or unadorned anywhere else on the body. It just looks like they tried to save $5 on an instrument with retail over $5K.

It's rather expensive to leave the bridge unfinished looking. I found a 2014 for $2900, good price. I'd like to see on in person first I think. Not sure if that's going to be possible in my area.

Be aware, CF Martin co. stopped using solid Abalone Pearl on their instruments at least beginning in 1998 and perhaps much earlier. They use a laminated (same as plywood as compared to solid wood) abalone? known as "Abalam". We have never been able to find out EXACTLY when they
;edit spelling
began using this substitute. I have called this "mother of plastic abalam pearloid" for several years on the UMGF. Research this your self. BEWARE! Jay

Last edited:
I would have to sell some stuff to afford one anyway. Not sure if it's worth it or not yet.

B1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgHere is my 2015 Martin 5K complete with figured Koa bridge. It is as nice an instrument as I have ever seen. It is a great player, has great tone and is a thing of beauty. Being a guitar and banjo player, I don't expect to see a finish on the bridge, but I would not call it unfinished or crude. Even a Stradivarius violin has a bare bridge. Maybe the bridge should be able to breathe. That would be a question for an acoustic engineer, I am only a mechanical engineer, so I will leave it alone.

The camera on my phone and the unnatural lighting does not do the instrument or the bridge justice.

I have heard the comment many times that the new Martins are not as light as the old ones. Ebony is very heavy wood and the fingerboard on the new instruments is much thicker than on the vintage ukes. The head is also thicker, adding to the illusion of being nose heavy. The body and bracing is still very light and the thicker fingerboard helps you to avoid scratching the top with your fingers. They may be a little more durable, but all of mine project very well and I don't care if the instrument is a little nose heavy, (I really don't notice, especially since I play with a Uke Leash.

There is a Laughlin 5K complete with finished bridge at Elderly for $3000.00. I heard that they will take $2800.00. I have 2 Laughlins and I can vouch for the workmanship. They are very fine, hand made instruments and they sound and play great too. Good luck.

Last edited:
Lipinski Stradivarius is an antique violin constructed in 1715 by the Italian luthier Antonio Stradivari of Cremona - See more at: http://yyaayy.com/facts-about-lipinski-stradivarius-violin-2/#sthash.doQwzk8u.dpufviolin11[1].jpg It has a bare bridge. I guess that it is a matter of taste. I like the contrast. The grain on a ukulele bridge runs perpendicular to the top grain. I don't really like it when it is the same color, figuring and finish, but at 90 degrees. It looks very busy to me.

Last edited:
The new and old bridges are the same shape except that the newer ones are less rounded over. It is actually more difficult to do this. The body is finished and buffed before the bridge is glued on. There is also a very shallow, routed pocket on the top that receives the bridge on the re-issued instruments. The problem as I see it is:

1. Small parts are very difficult to finish properly using modern methods, (hand applied and rubbed finishes can be applied after the bridge is in place)
2. Any finish build-up could present a problem a fit issue with the top
3. A sprayed finish can close up the string slots

Solutions:
1. Re-cut the slots and re-machine all around the base of the bridge after finish has been applied
2. Leave it bare just like they have always done on their guitars
3. If it really bothers someone, they can have the top masked of and have the bridge French polished or apply some fingerboard honey, (or similar treatment)

I do like the finished bridges on my Kiwayas, Laughlins and vintage Martins. I also like the bare bridges on my re-issues. I never would have thought twice about it if I hadn't heard that so many people state their dislike for the bare bridges.

Last edited:
Bought the 5k (reissue) It looks to be a beauty, should be here tomorrow. Minty!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom