PDA

View Full Version : Solid or laminate mahogny?

Henning
09-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Hello, I have a simple question that I realize might have a tricky answer. How could you judge whether a top is solid or laminate mahogny?

Regards

Michael Smith
09-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Check grain direction and pattern inside and outside. You will need a mirror.

Hello, I have a simple question that I realize might have a tricky answer. How could you judge whether a top is solid or laminate mahogny?

Regards

mikeyb2
09-16-2016, 02:01 PM
or check the sound hole edge, you may be able to make out the laminations.

PhilUSAFRet
09-16-2016, 02:42 PM
I bought a concert that I thought probably had a laminate body. Was surprised it was solid one when I compared the grain inside to that on the outside. Perfect match. That and the uke was a little lighter than I expected.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
09-17-2016, 09:21 AM
or check the sound hole edge, you may be able to make out the laminations.

yep .

Timbuck
09-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Look at the back..if it has a seam down the centre and nice grain...then look inside and if it's solid it will also have a seam and similar grain..if it don't then it's laminate...I once had a nice looking flame maple Lanikai Tenor but it was a laminate job :(...So I sold it ;)

Henning
09-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your responses. The story is that I bought a concert ukulele off ebay in spring this year. The seller claimed it to be solid top (with stubborness of extraordinarity) and laminate (mahogany) sides and back. I took it to the local violin builder who checked it with a mirror inside and said it to be three layer laminate. The lamp I put inside didnīt shine any light out. Well, yes so it did, but only on a very thin ray absolutely next to the bridge.
So I realized I wanted someting better than the laminate I had since before. Therefore I bought this
http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/uc70-s.html?backp=1

It isnīt very well built but might be solid mahogany top. I am still suspicous after the incident with the ebay concert ukulele.
So difficult to see any grains in the mahogany and the side of the tone hole was painted.
I tried to take some photos of the edge but they didnīt turn out to be so good. :confused:

Now after I made the setup and changed the saddle to genuine bone it sounds and feels like solid top. :)