Shoulder straps or neck straps? Pros? Cons?

Gengarx

Reaction score
Hey guy's,

So you probably figured out that I'm a Uke Newb lol but I am looking around online because I just ordered my first Uke and I have a question about Shoulder straps and neck straps (Not sure if that is the correct name but I am referring to the straps that clip to the sound hole and goes behind the Uke to be supported by your neck). I am curious to see what everyone here prefers. It seems like to me the easiest option are the neck straps because you don't have to drill into the Uke like you do in most cases with shoulder straps, however with this type of strap you lose the ability to hold the Uke hands free like you can with shoulder straps. This is most likely going to boil down to me just trying both and seeing what is more comfortable for my needs but I would like to here how people with experience feel about these two options for straps. Which type do you prefer? Do you prefer different straps in different situations? Are there other options I haven't mentioned here?

Thanks guy's!! You're advice is much appreciated!:D

Personally, I'd never clip a strap to the sound hole. The tops are so thin that I'd worry about damaging it, especially if I took my hands off the ukulele.

I feel that a half-strap, like the Uke Leash (which I have seven or eight of), or a regular strap (requires fitting a button) are far superior and safer choices. I really do like the Uke Leash. Only one of my ukuleles has a button, and there is an adapter for the Uke Leash to turn it into a full strap.

I prefer shoulder straps. I also like the Uke Leash but prefer the ones that's require a button.

Mivo: Have you ever installed a button? and if so do you have and suggestions on how/type to get? In all honesty I am not that great with tools and I'm a little afraid of damaging the Uke. Also, I had wondered about that I have read a lot about maintaining your uke and how in certain climates/situations if you do not treat it correctly the wood can warp and didn't understand how if the Uke can warp that easy, how it wouldn't warp with one of the neck straps that clip. It did not make much sense to me but all the manufactures of course claim that there straps are damage free lol.

Jim Hanks: Thanks for your input!!! any suggestions on installing buttons?

Last edited:
You might consider my invention, the Mobius Strap. It gives completely hands-free support without the need to drill or otherwise modify your ukulele, something the other alternatives don't offer! Complete information is available at http://www.mobiusstrap.com.

Tim Mullins: Thank you for the suggestion! Looking at your sig I see that the strap covers a tiny bit of the sound hole, does that not effect the sound at all?

Mivo: Have you ever installed a button?

No, the one uke with a button that I have already came with one. I wouldn't dare to do it myself and would either buy one with a button or have a luthier/repair person add one. :) But I think the Uke Leash and the Moebius strap work just fine. (I do play mostly seated, however, and I aim at playing strapless.)

I prefer a strap with a button at the lower bout. The buttons are relatively cheap and easy to install. I put a piece of masking tape at the base of the uke, mark where I want the button (Centred top to back and right to left). I find a bit that's a little smaller than the screw on the button and use tape to mark the depth of the hole. I've done this on many instruments from my first guitar in 1960 to my old tiple that I got last year.
If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, a music store employee can do it very cheaply and quickly for you.

I have one of the neck straps that hooks in the sound hole, but only use it for my soprano uke. anything bigger has a regular strap. I usually make my own straps from leather boot laces, old web belts or South American colourful belts.
ukestraps.jpg tiple.jpg

Unless you never want to stand up to play, or never want to play anything more than first position chords, you will need a strap. You should never use your left hand to hold up the uke.

Last edited:
I like a strap that's attached with two buttons like many guitars. I've installed buttons on most of my ukes, about 14-15, not a problem at all, and agreed, any guitar place should be able to install buttons in minutes. The techs at my local Sam Ash and Guitar Center are pretty good.

I tried various positions to fit straps/strap buttons, & eventually settled on a button on the heel with a lanyard style of fitting, just a length of webbing with a hole punched in it at each end, quick to attach & supports the weight comfortably. :)

However, I mostly don't use straps because I prefer to sit down whilst playing, more relaxing. ;)

I prefer a shoulder strap as I feel that the weight of the instrument is distributed better. Sure, a ukulele isn't the heaviest thing in the world but having one hanging off your neck can still get pretty uncomfortable after a while, in my experience.

I started with a sound hole neck strap but the lack of complete support made me give up on it. I have tried various other strap types but settled on the guitar style with a button on the bottom and another on the heel. All of my ukes have them now. This gives complete support and piece of mind when I let go while standing up and playing.

How do you wear your strap? I stick my head through the straps on guitars and banjos, but for ukes and mandolins, I just put it over my right shoulder.jimuke.jpg

Hey Jim, I play mostly tenors and baritones so I stick my head and arm through and the strap goes around my back just like a guitar. With the larger bodied tenors and baritones this is comfortable. I have a friend who sticks just his right arm through like you do and that works well.

Last edited:
I started with a sound hole neck strap but the lack of complete support made me give up on it. I have tried various other strap types but settled on the guitar style with a button on the bottom and another on the heel. All of my ukes have them now. This gives complete support and piece of mind when I let go while standing up and playing.

I do the same thing. I like the soft leather guitar strap. I have a Lakota Leathers strap but there are less expensive options available.

I am also new to the instrument and I feel very fortunate that my first uke already had strap buttons installed. The one on the lower bout is actually an L.R. Baggs pickup jack, but the one behind the neck is a strap button. I watched countless videos about how to properly hold the instrument and I never found a position that was comfortable for me. So, I grabbed the strap off my mandolin and it fit perfectly. Since then, I have bought and installed strap buttons on two other ukes. It is a bit scary drilling into a beautiful instrument, but there are a number of helpful videos online that take you through the process. Here is the one I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yitWBv194

As others have said, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to any guitar technician and let them do it for you. Maybe if they allow it, you can ask to watch the process and it may give you the confidence to try it yourself in the future.

Last edited:
Tim Mullins: Thank you for the suggestion! Looking at your sig I see that the strap covers a tiny bit of the sound hole, does that not effect the sound at all?

Hi Gengarx,

Thanks for the question! Both by testing with an iPhone dB meter and subjectively to my ear there is no effect on the sound. I had actually expected the sound to be louder using a Mobius Strap than with no strap because one wouldn't need to hold the ukulele in position with one's forearm, which I expected to kill vibrations of the top. But, as I said, I found no difference either way.

Best,

Tim Mullins

I watched countless videos about how to properly hold the instrument and I never found a position that was comfortable for me.

It was the same for me, and without the Uke Leash I would likely have quit the instrument in frustration, for that reason. I'll say, though, that in time this improved a lot, and now don't always use the Leash anymore when I'm playing seated. For the baritone (and the Kanile'a guitarlele), I don't need anything other than a foot rest, and with sopranos the whole resting it in your arm thing began to make sense to me (and actually work), but it took me fairly long. This is why I think using a Leash, Tim's strap, or a regular strap are good tools even if someone aspires to eventually play without any of them.

Top Bottom