PDA

View Full Version : Ready made or kit?

uke_dude
09-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Hello, I'm new to the ukulele scene and have done a lot of research into ukuleles. I have found some very nice DIY kits and was wondering what would be best as far as quality and sound, a diy or factory finished? One of the suppliers of the kits claim it's the same as they use in their higher end completed models but in kit form? Just wondering if anybody has had any experience in this area.

kypfer
09-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Hello, I'm new to the ukulele scene and have done a lot of research into ukuleles. I have found some very nice DIY kits and was wondering what would be best as far as quality and sound, a diy or factory finished? One of the suppliers of the kits claim it's the same as they use in their higher end completed models but in kit form? Just wondering if anybody has had any experience in this area.

The overall finish, which can take some time and skill to achieve (and therefore forms a considerable part of the cost of a hand-built instrument) will all be down to you and your woodworking skills. This is not a stick-it-together plastic model kit.

Another consideration, unless you're considering painting the instrument, is the pattern in the wood-grain ... will this be a nice-looking instrument when it's finished or will it still look like any mass-produced plywood instrument that may well have cost a lot less to purchase initially.

Good luck :)

Croaky Keith
09-16-2016, 09:55 PM
As a first uke, I'd suggest buying one of the lower priced ones from Kala or Omega, around 50~60 will get you a good starter. :)

cml
09-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy a kit. Why rob yourself of the feeling of having built it yourself?
I'd either build it on my own or buy a new one. Actually that's what I've done as well.

uke_dude
09-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Thank y'all for your input. I purchased a pretty decent entry level ukulele today. It's a Kohala soprano and sounds very nice. Pretty good for about $60!