PDA

View Full Version : FS: Southern Cross Banjo Uke. New Model "The Fantail"

DPO
09-17-2016, 04:21 PM
I have from time to time had requests for a cheaper banjo uke. The problem is the hardware costs are the same (and are significant), plus to save on time go back to a ply body which I am not prepared to do. So the logical answer was to go with the Magic Fluke idea of using a Remo drumhead, this is the result.

I have gone with a 10 inch head rather than the standard 8 inch which gives a richer and fuller sound. The neck is NZ Rimu. headstock and heel cap are kaihikatea, fretboard is Purple Heart with side fret markers. The rim rod is a standard banjo co-ordinator rod. Concert Scale.

Price is
US$325.00 Plus shipping.

SOLD. Thanks

Video/sound sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TOU8BJqKI

Jim Hanks
09-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Looks good, Dennis. I think that's great you found a way to reach a lower price point. Hopefully that will bring a larger audience/market to your work. You deserve it.

How would you compare the sound of this model to the "fancier" ones?

DPO
09-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Looks good, Dennis. I think that's great you found a way to reach a lower price point. Hopefully that will bring a larger audience/market to your work. You deserve it.

Thanks Jim.

How would you compare the sound of this model to the "fancier" ones?

Well I was not expecting much in the way of sound to be honest, but I am blown away at how good it does sound, perhaps not quite as much volume and not as rich as the block rims, but really very good. I will get a video up in the next day or so.

Halesowen Kid
09-18-2016, 07:14 AM
I look forward to the video clip....

OhioBelle
09-18-2016, 10:52 AM
so cool looking with the purple heart fingerboard.
first banjo uke Ive ever been tempted by!

Nice work!

DPO
09-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Video sound sample added.

DPO
09-18-2016, 05:24 PM
so cool looking with the purple heart fingerboard.
first banjo uke Ive ever been tempted by!

Nice work!

Thank you. It would go nicely with your stable of Ukes. Ten is a nice round number. :)

Halesowen Kid
09-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Video sound sample added.

Hi,

Where do I find the video sound clip?

DPO
09-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Where do I find the video sound clip?

The link is on the bottom of the original post.
Cheers

Halesowen Kid
09-19-2016, 07:48 PM
The link is on the bottom of the original post.
Cheers

Thank you....

DPO
09-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Bump. Plus ten characters. :)

nalini6
09-24-2016, 07:08 PM
I love the fingerboard! Such a lovely colour. And you seem to have done a flawless job of fixing the drum head membrane without any creases. Very nice proportions too. Wish I hadn't already just bought a banjolele. Some day I hope to upgrade...

DPO
09-25-2016, 12:36 PM
I love the fingerboard! Such a lovely colour. And you seem to have done a flawless job of fixing the drum head membrane without any creases. Very nice proportions too. Wish I hadn't already just bought a banjolele. Some day I hope to upgrade...

Thanks, Purple Heart is fast becoming a favourite of mine. Unfortunately I can not take credit for the drum head that must go to Mr Remo, or maybe even Mrs Remo. :rolleyes:

DPO
10-11-2016, 02:21 PM
SOLD
Thanks.