FS: Southern Cross Banjo Uke. New Model "The Fantail"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPO

Reaction score
I have from time to time had requests for a cheaper banjo uke. The problem is the hardware costs are the same (and are significant), plus to save on time go back to a ply body which I am not prepared to do. So the logical answer was to go with the Magic Fluke idea of using a Remo drumhead, this is the result.

I have gone with a 10 inch head rather than the standard 8 inch which gives a richer and fuller sound. The neck is NZ Rimu. headstock and heel cap are kaihikatea, fretboard is Purple Heart with side fret markers. The rim rod is a standard banjo co-ordinator rod. Concert Scale.

Price is
US$325.00 Plus shipping.

SOLD. Thanks

Video/sound sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TOU8BJqKI

Attachments

• BU2.jpg
    BU2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 178
  • BU3.jpg
    BU3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 163
  • BU4.jpg
    BU4.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 166
  • BU5.jpg
    BU5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 171
  • BU1.jpg
    BU1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Looks good, Dennis. I think that's great you found a way to reach a lower price point. Hopefully that will bring a larger audience/market to your work. You deserve it.

How would you compare the sound of this model to the "fancier" ones?

Looks good, Dennis. I think that's great you found a way to reach a lower price point. Hopefully that will bring a larger audience/market to your work. You deserve it.

Thanks Jim.

How would you compare the sound of this model to the "fancier" ones?

Well I was not expecting much in the way of sound to be honest, but I am blown away at how good it does sound, perhaps not quite as much volume and not as rich as the block rims, but really very good. I will get a video up in the next day or so.

so cool looking with the purple heart fingerboard.
first banjo uke Ive ever been tempted by!

Nice work!

so cool looking with the purple heart fingerboard.
first banjo uke Ive ever been tempted by!

Nice work!

Thank you. It would go nicely with your stable of Ukes. Ten is a nice round number. :)

I love the fingerboard! Such a lovely colour. And you seem to have done a flawless job of fixing the drum head membrane without any creases. Very nice proportions too. Wish I hadn't already just bought a banjolele. Some day I hope to upgrade...

I love the fingerboard! Such a lovely colour. And you seem to have done a flawless job of fixing the drum head membrane without any creases. Very nice proportions too. Wish I hadn't already just bought a banjolele. Some day I hope to upgrade...

Thanks, Purple Heart is fast becoming a favourite of mine. Unfortunately I can not take credit for the drum head that must go to Mr Remo, or maybe even Mrs Remo. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom