Pono now makes a Steel String Electric Solid Body

Rakelele

Reaction score
To my eyes that's a very uninspired look. For over six hundred quid I'd want something that looks nicer. That has got a sort of home made vibe to it.

I'm not sure I understand why they made it without either single coil or humbucking pickup(s) seeing as how it has steel strings. The under saddle pickup won't sound much different than a similar nylon stringed instrument. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure I understand why they made it without either single coil or humbucking pickup(s) seeing as how it has steel strings. The under saddle pickup won't sound much different than a similar nylon stringed instrument. Am I missing something?

I agree with Tim.

I'd guess the Southern Ukulele Store made an error, the picture is the nylon string chambered body electric with an under the saddle pickup.

For a great steel string uke, check out MonkeyWrench , or a Kona Blaster.

Last edited:
Just to make it easier for everyone to see. I've also seen it in mango somewhere about a year ago. I got lucky a couple weeks ago and bought a Godin Multiuke here in the Marketplace for $400, which new sells for around $650, it's a beaut.

Pono solid.jpg

Pono mango solid body uke.jpg

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, the picture of the Mango version you posted is Pono's regular nylon string model that has been around for a couple of years.

Hodge, I don't think that the store made a mistake. If you look at the bridge, you can see that it has a different shape, pins, and a a slanted saddle compensated for steel strings (Mike's post gives a good comparison).

I wonder about the pickup too, though. Just like Whendogssing suggested, I'd want magnetic pickups in order to fully capture the sustain and distortion of steel strings. Nevertheless, great to see the company develop more options. I like that plain and woody look, too.

Mike, the picture of the Mango version you posted is Pono's regular nylon string model that has been around for a couple of years.

Hodge, I don't think that the store made a mistake. If you look at the bridge, you can see that it has a different shape, pins, and a a slanted saddle compensated for steel strings (Mike's post gives a good comparison).

I wonder about the pickup too, though. Just like Whendogssing suggested, I'd want magnetic pickups in order to fully capture the sustain and distortion of steel strings. Nevertheless, great to see the company develop more options. I like that plain and woody look, too.

You're right it has the pins. I wonder if Pono put a different bridge on the standard nylon electric. For an electric steel solid body, I like electro-magnetic pickups.

P1060639_zpsd6effab7.jpg

Last edited:

Oops, you're correct, and yes, the other does look different, very well could be steel string.

Monkey wrench music

Jim Hellas at Monkey wrench music makes true solid body steel string electric Ukes and they are great, check his website out.

Top Bottom