Ukulele Hangers on the Cheap

Twibbly

Reaction score
I decided yesterday that my ukuleles needed to be up off the table next to my chair so my scanner can live there.

Now, I've looked at the hangers specifically made for instruments on Amazon, and the cheaper ones just don't seem to be my cup of tea.

However, we went to Lowe's, and found these, 2 in a package for $7.99+tax, and they are working marvelously. I'm sure some people NEED the hangers specifically made with foam made from fairy farts that won't ever mar the finish on their precious in a million years, but I'm not at that point.

The fact that the coating is orange is a bonus for me, 'cause orange is one of my favorite colors.

2016-09-17 16.24.32.jpg

2016-09-17 16.36.38.jpg

Looks good to me. I am very frugal and have been actually thinking of doing exactly this myself, but have not been to the store yet. Perfect timing & thanks for sharing! :music:

If it's economical pricing you want, a cup-hook in the wall and a length of stiff cord on the machine heads to hang thereonto ... works for me, probably at a 5th of the cost of the pictured item ... you could even use orange cord (I use red!)

I got the idea from the commercially available hangers made from para-cord http://www.ukulelehangers.com/

How we hang our ukuleles at school (all 108 of them): 2x4s with normal tool hooks from Menard's at $1.49 a pair. At home I bought a 5 pack of instrument hooks for $10.

We're building a new school to replace ours and I may order the real hangers to be mounted in properly stained and attractive wood (walls will likely be drywall or cinder block). But the tool hook solution works well.

I also have a ukulele carousel on order for the front of the classroom.

I also use plain old cup hooks, extra long, but hang them inside a humidity controlled cabinet I made out of a bookshelf.

Shelf recent 1.jpg

Shelf recent 2.jpg

Part of my reasoning is that I don't trust standard cup hooks in the wall and I wanted to be able to just grab my uke off the wall without trying to unhook things, but I love seeing the other solutions people have come up with!

Keep an eye on them. Certain coatings can interact badly with certain finishes.

Keep an eye on them. Certain coatings can interact badly with certain finishes.

I will. I don't have expensive ukes yet, hence the comment about not being too worried about it. It should also help that we live in a desert - I'm guessing that trapped humidity plays a part in that as well.

You can get a four-pack of actual padded instrument hangers from a certain colossal online retailer for under 8 bucks delivered, if you have their premium service thing. I've used them for everything from guitars to fiddles without a problem. Work great for ukes.

You can get a four-pack of actual padded instrument hangers from a certain colossal online retailer for under 8 bucks delivered, if you have their premium service thing. I've used them for everything from guitars to fiddles without a problem. Work great for ukes.

No premium service for me, 'cept Amazon Prime. :)

Well, I'll be darn. Where there's a will, there's a way. Very creative, y'all.

The paracord works great. I make them and give them to everyone I know. Get a 100 ft from Hobby Lobby and use their 40% off coupon and make 50.

Thanks for posting this! I have only 1 nice hangar but I've only got 1 nice uke. these will work well for my "beach ukes"!

Top Bottom