Anybody play a KoAlan Laminate Tenor?

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I was playing my Tenor Fluke in the car on Saturday and was wondering what the new KoAlana tenor with laminate mahogany was like. Sound sample Cory does is good and to Cory's credit he could make anything sound good. I think the laminate would sound better than my Fluke.

At the same time, for a few dollars more one could get a all solid Mainland Tenor.

I know laminate has it benefits so wondering if anyone has played one. They look good and I'm sure the set up would be great .....grover tuners and all that.

Comments is you played one.

interested to hear anyone's opinion on this one too as I'm lazy and thus a big fan of laminates.

At one of my local uke clubs, a member has the koalana and I asked her to play it. I was super impressed with the build quality and tone! I didn't think it was that much different from my KTM volume wise. Maybe my KTM intonated a little better and was more clear on top but the koalana had a nice warm round sound typical of good laminates and had good volume. I had a similar decision in the past and I did go with the Mainland at the time but koalana is a solid buy for sure - my question would be whether you want to spring for the solid opio as its not that far off.

I am curious about the KoAlana tenor laminate as my "take anywhere ukulele " that I that don't have to worry about. I've grown out of my Fluke (with peghed tuner upgrade) so probably could sell it and get the KoAlana. I've already owned an Opio tenor, personally, I'd buy the All Koa Hawaiian made KoAloha next time. Curious about a Mainland spruce/mahogany tenor for a few dollars more but then I'd be humidifying and not big on the rope gasket. Anybody else play a KoAlana tenor?

If you liked the sound of the Opio and want that but in a laminate then get the koalana, you won't be disappointed (if you dig the Koaloha sound). I should have added that my local uke club also has someone with an Opio, so we got to compare the Koaloha, Opio, and koalana. The laminate leaves little on the table, truly.

I'm very interested in this topic. I have an Opio and love it, but the time will soon be here where I need to start worrying about humidity (you wouldn't know it if you were in the Twin Cities area right now).

From what I have read, I love all that KoAloha stands for, and would love to have an instrument that I could drag to school in the winter without worrying too much about. Liking Koaloha and the looks of that crown and sound hole, the KoAlana might be the perfect instrument for that. Looking forward to what others say.

I have the concert KoAlana and love it. I bought mine to have a top notch laminate to play in the winter when the humidity drops. I'm sure the tenor is great, too.

Top Bottom