Pono Factory Second For Sale On Ebay.uk

jollyboy

Reaction score
I noticed that there is a pre-owned Pono solid mahogany tenor up for auction on Ebay.uk. Looking at the pictures you can clearly see that the label is stamped with a '2' indicating a factory second. Nowhere in the description of the instrument is this fact mentioned. Also, I sent a couple of messages to the seller - he is adamant that there are no cosmetic defects. I find this hard to believe.

I think I'm partly just venting cos I think the seller is being somewhat disingenuous and partly I'm just putting this out there in case someone else spots this 'bargain' but maybe misses the label stamp.

That's all :)

Edit: Actually the guy has relisted it as a second. After I sent a third message. Starting price has been lowered by £10.00.

Last edited:
I have a Pono 2nd and the cosmetic flaw is so small barely noticeable. But it has tremendous sound snd one of my favourite instruments.

I have a Pono 2nd and the cosmetic flaw is so small barely noticeable. But it has tremendous sound snd one of my favourite instruments.

I appreciate that the cosmetic flaws on Pono seconds are often very slight - what I believe are called 'micro-blems' - and I'm sure that the instrument sounds great (assuming that there are no other issues). I would actually be interested in making an offer but it would have to be what I considered a fair price for a pre-owned factory second. Also there is the fact that the seller originally made no reference to the uke being a second in the listing (and also replied to my initial message by basically saying 'nope, there's nothing wrong with it') - for me, buying from a private seller on ebay is something of a leap of faith and I need to feel confident that the seller is honest and trustworthy.

Last edited:
Is this somewhere around serial number on inside label?

It's right in the centre of the label - hard to miss.

attachment.php

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 157
I have read many comments about ukers who have had great difficulty finding the flaw and a few who just couldn't find it at all (on one occasion, even Andrew at theukesite couldn't find one on a uke he was selling.) It could be something as minor as a slight finish flaw that can be polished out easily. I love the low gloss of a polished satin finished uke. Sounds like the seller is a dingbat. Considering it comes with a hardshell case, it's not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom