PDA

View Full Version : Of mice and men.

Michael N.
09-19-2016, 03:10 AM
Not the book but plans, ideas. They come, they go.
Several years ago I started to build this renaissance guitar. For some reason I decided to build it on the back of the instrument, probably because I'd never done it before and I'm rather fond of variety.
It got sidelined, as all good ideas do. I must have at least half a dozen such projects just waiting to be taken up again and finished. Now I've decided to reignite this project. . . . but don't take that literally. Renaissance guitars and Ukes have an awful lot in common, so this is going to be modified and built as a baritone, or perhaps we can call it a baritenor. The length of the body is baritone but the bout width is quite a bit less. Scale length will be baritone although who knows what tuning I will use. That can be decided at any time.
It's gathered a bit of dust. Somewhere I had a set of sides that I had bent but I can't find them. Maybe I cut them up. I just can't remember and age is having it's effect. Fortunately I have some replacement wood. Back/Sides are English cherry, top is lutz spruce. Neck has yet to be started.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g193/mignal/891f4a86-ed9a-44cf-b3f5-b3a150193a5c_zpstgnlwgwe.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/mignal/media/891f4a86-ed9a-44cf-b3f5-b3a150193a5c_zpstgnlwgwe.jpg.html)

Andyk
09-19-2016, 03:26 AM
variety is the spice of life.

is that back five pieces? if so then good use of small bit of tree :)

Michael N.
09-19-2016, 03:45 AM
Yes, five. I think the sides that disappeared were 3 pieces. . . or 6 pieces if you include both sets!
That use of multi ribs was very common in centuries past.
At the moment that soundboard has no bracing, apart from the two transverse braces either side of the soundhole. It was never intended to have any other bracing but I might just include a bracing type that I've been working on for modern guitars, perhaps slightly simplified. No need to go heavy on these instruments.

Andyk
09-19-2016, 03:53 AM
Interesting. For your 3 piece sides do you bend them and then glue together or glue then bend? Just wondering if you encounter either glue failure issues or if it is a PITA to line up and glue once bent.
cheers
Andy...

Michael N.
09-19-2016, 04:26 AM
I've seen it done both ways. Bending then gluing, which I've seen done on a full height solid mould.
I joined them and then bent, glued with hide. I think I bent them dry on a hot iron, no moisture. Too much moisture/water and they may well de-laminate, although someone once told me that he spritzes with water and they keep together. I don't think it would work on a bending machine unless you glued them together with powdered resin glue (the boat builders glue). That glue can take serious heat (and water!), it won't release, I've tried it. In fact there is no solvent for it.

Andyk
09-19-2016, 04:32 AM
thanks for the info Michael. I think I'll add it to my list of things to try one day.

Michael N.
09-19-2016, 05:03 AM
Found them.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g193/mignal/4f786baf-13d6-41c0-8f5d-e6121adc8bf9_zps33ozhfwf.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/mignal/media/4f786baf-13d6-41c0-8f5d-e6121adc8bf9_zps33ozhfwf.jpg.html)

Two piece rather than the three that I thought they were. Not that it matters. They've gone way out of shape, which is to be expected given that they've been free to do whatever they want for so long.
Hopefully this build will be ready for X-mas. I've too many other builds going on to devote much time to this. A few hours per week should should do it. I might have to replace the top block as the mortice has already been cut for the renaissance guitar neck width. It's probably a bit wider than needed for a baritone.

greenscoe
09-19-2016, 05:18 AM
I'm always interested in what others are doing and to learn something new: I've noticed the 3 piece sides on some old instruments and wondered how its done and whether they came apart. I've looked at your site several times and listened to your instruments being played so its good to see a project here on the forum.