NUD: Mainland red cedar tenor

FinnP

Reaction score
NUD: Mainland red cedar tenor (not very pleased)

Red Cedar Tenor Gloss

Last edited:
:agree: Always contact the maker/dealer.

I would return the instrument if you are not satisfied. Reputable vendors will have a return policy.

It may be difficult if he imported it from the US to Europe. The high shipping costs aside, he probably paid customs (20-25% of the value+shipping+instance). I also always wondered what would happen if you buy an instrument from overseas, it breaks, and the manufacturer sends a replacement instrument: would you have to pay taxes for it again? These concerns are the reason why I have only imported one ukulele from outside of Europe.

I'd also suggest to check with Mike. It may be as simple as just needing a new nut/saddle.

Last edited:
I bought it in the UK, so customs is not problem. What I really like to know is if there are any Mainland tenor owners here who can confirm that it's "normal" that the the neck heel-foot is floating over the backside, because it's glued on all my other ukes.

Hi Finn

I just checked my uke - same model as yours - April 2015 date - and the block is flush with the back. Its actually uneven on one side - so there is a tiny gap. No camera right now for a picture but the majority of the block is flush with the back.

What I really like to know is if there are any Mainland tenor owners here who can confirm that it's "normal" that the the neck heel-foot is floating over the backside, because it's glued on all my other ukes.
It's a flaw, period. Possibly happened during shipping. I'm sure Mike would have rejected this uke himself had it come like this from the factory.

A good tech could readily repair this flaw right there in the UK. I suggest you message Mike.

Hi Finn

I just checked my uke - same model as yours - April 2015 date - and the block is flush with the back. Its actually uneven on one side - so there is a tiny gap. No camera right now for a picture but the majority of the block is flush with the back.

Thanks, that's what I feared: the neck block heel foot is resting on top of the cross binding strip.
looks like sloppy workmanship to me. I wrote Mainland, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Interesting about the intonation. My friend's Mainland came with Aquilas and the intonation was spot on. When she wore them out, she changed to Living Waters, and the intonation went sharp. A good setup fixed it. Now she's crazy about it.
Yes, Mike stands behind his products, no worries.

Update: I decided to keep it as I didn't wanted to go through the hassle of sending back and forth.

Instead I made a new saddle with overhang, that turned out very well. Intonation is now perfect.
I used a slap of camel bone intended for knife handles. It's a very dense material a very nice ebony white color.
I hope this could help people wih similar intonation problems.
Anyway here i what it looks like (notice how similar the Ohana tk35g is to the Mainland).
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

Very clever solution!

Top Bottom