Electronics in the Uke -- yes or no?

Do you like electronics in your ukulele?

• I use and like electronics in my ukes.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I don't want electronics in my ukes.

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • I don't mind either way.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Other, I'll explain in a post.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Mivo

Reaction score
Often when I look at acoustic ukuleles, I see instruments with pickups, tuners, and EQs. I always skip these and don't consider them when UAS hits.

I think my reasons for not wanting electronics in my instruments are mostly that electronics of any type get outdated, and that I don't always find it aesthetically pleasing. I also don't want additional holes in the instrument, especially when the electronics break or get outdated, which is likely to happen long before the instrument stops being usable.

I'd probably rather buy a solid body e-ukulele than get an acoustic/electric instrument, though my view would probably differ if I performed on stage or other places where you want to plug your instrument in. For self-recording, I much prefer a microphone.

But this is doubtlessly a matter of preference, so I am curious how other uke players feel. I'll also add a simple poll. :)

Yes, and that is why I like the MiSi. It is clean. No battery box stuck in the side of the body.

Yes in some, no in others. The more inexpensive the ukulele, the more I prefer it to have a pickup for sure and a preamp if possible.

There have been several discussions here on the greater tonal qualities of various solid wood instruments compared to laminates. In trying to get better performance out of the laminate instruments I've acquired, installing pickups and preamps has seemed to help. If nothing else, it has been fun learning how to cleanly and efficiently install these devices.

I don't like the sound of Wes Montgomery. I am not sure why but I think it may be because of the pickup. I think pickups only pick up string sounds. But we have nail and finger tip sounds with acoustic instruments. I like noise from left hands too. I play electric guitar with picks. That is fine. But I am basically don't like finger picking on electronics.

View attachment 94437

love my RISA soprano but am currently looking for something in the 300 dollar range with a good pickup. Currently leaning toward getting a Fender or something with a fishman pick up. I enjoy the versatility of being able to use pedals, amps, and my digital interface.

I have most of my ukuleles set up with pick ups. All but two have LR Baggs 5.0 pickups as I find them to be as close to natural sounding as an under saddle pick up gets. A pick up will never better a good mic put I perform on stage and that is where a pick up shines.

Funny you should do this poll now as I just finished playing for two straight hours with various ukes plugged in. Testing different settings and volumes, I walked away with a big smile on my face because I had such a blast coloring the sound and cranking the volume

I want electronics in all my ukes, with preamp and built in tuner. I've bought them that way or installed them myself or had them installed. I just bought a Godin Multiuke from the Marketplace and boy am I impressed. It's a chambered solid body that's surprisingly loud without an amp, and sounds great amped, especially because each string has it's own pickup.

When I started out, I couldn't get enough volume to record, out of my acoustics, so started buying electro acoustic ukes, (even just electric ukes), & some great fun was had! :D

However, after having bought my baritone, I now prefer to use acoustic again, (have just bought solid mahogany), I just need to change my playing style a little to get the volume required to make recordings.

I don't regret having bought my electros, because they are fun with an amp like the Microcube, & for the occasional recording for the Seasons challenges on here. :)

Electric ukes for left-handed play are like hens teeth to find. The Bruko passive pickup is a notable exception, as there are no controls onboard the uke and the socket is central (doubles up as a strap button). I have fitted my own cheap Mahalo pickup once (not very well as my carpentry skills are poor, as are my tools).

I'd love a solid body electric so I can practice quietly with headphones, but will doubtless have to get one custom-built when I can afford it.

It depends, if I want others to hear me play, then I play an amplified electro-acoustic. If it's just me, I don't need the electrics. But the odd thing is, an acoustic uke sounds nothing it like it does when you play it and your ears are above and behind it, than it does when someone else plays and your ears are in front of the soundboard where the sound is projected.

I am not planning on playing any gigs. For myself, for a bonfire or for recording for the Seasons, electronics would only be relevant if I wanted to play around with effects. I am more into the acoustic sound for my own style, so I keep it simple and leave out the electronics, also for the next uke I am going to buy. I hardly have enough time to play it as it is, not that much time to play around with more equipment.

But I think there should be a separate poll for those who do gigs.
-No electronics, miking it up for performances
-Only electronics in a selected stage ukes, prefers without when playing at home
-electronics in them all

For me, no electronics. I don't play out so, I'm in that non-performer camp.
I recently got a great deal on an acoustic guitar - it has Fishman electronics in it but, I would prefer that they weren't there. I don't see myself ever plugging it in. (In fact, I don't know for a fact they even work.)

Agree that gigging musicians will have very different needs.

For me, always put electronics in them when I can.

I love to plug in and play, and hope to perform more often as I get better.

No electronics wanted or needed. Happy with the acoustic sound of the ukulele.

Interesting that the poll results are so evenly split.

I'm in the "no electronics" camp. When I first started to look at Youtubes of ukulele, to see what one would do with a ukulele, I seemed to primarily run across videos of people playing plugged in, and using effects. I was disappointed, thinking that if you wanted to learn ukulele, you'd also have to spend money on an amp, pickup, and effects, and also have that learning curve, (I've never used any of that.) I was so glad to discover that none of that was necessary, and am having a great time without that extra expense or learning curve.

I also prefer the idea that I can just grab a ukulele, and play whereever, (inside, outside, any place in the house), without having to set up anything. I like keeping it simple.

I don't perform for anyone, and don't expect to, so I'm sure that factors into my preference as well.

I like a pickup/preamp on a cheap instrument, but mainly for the tuner. Fifteen bucks extra for an onboard tuner on a cheap instrument seems like a good deal to me and they work well.

But if I'm spending more money, I want the instrument to perform to its full potential. I don't want extra holes cut into it, or a preamp & battery stealing volume, or wires hanging where they might cause unwanted vibrations, or an UST interfering with the string-> saddle-> bridge -> soundboard relationship.

I do like having an instrument with a pickup around for when I want to amp or record it or let loose with effects, but it's alway a cheapish one, not something I really value.

I love acoustic ukes. If I ever play live with a band again, I'll get a solid body Pono. Then I'll have something specifically designed for amplification and I won't have to worry about feedback.

I have nothing against acoustic/electric for others. I've had a number of a/e guitars in the past. But I like the simplicity and may I say purity of the acoustic uke tone. It's true amps and effects can be fun tho.

I have a Córdoba solid acacia model with a L R Baggs 5.0 installed. Only one hole, right where I would put a strap pin anyway. I don't use the pickup often and it does not get in the way of playing acoustically, but it's nice to have when I want to use it. It does sound pretty good amped up. I would not hesitate to put a quality pickup in just about any ukulele.

Top Bottom