East meets West

Timbuck

Reaction score
Today I had a visitor from Cumbria (North West of England)..He drove all the way across the mountains to my workshop in the (North East of England) It was "Alan" known on the forum as "Greenscoe" he came across to collect some bits and bobs i had going spare..and have a good chat about building ukes..He brought some of his ukes for me to have a look at..and we sat down and had good time playing on each others instruments... I was very impressed with the quality of his building skills ..He also spent quite some time in the workshop with me discussing jigs and building methods...He also had quite a long chat with Mrs T on the mystic secrets of French Polishing...later on in the day after he had left..I discovered that he had left his jacket behind... Dont worry about it Alan I've got your address and I'll post it off to you tomorrow(it's too small to fit me anyway);)..and thanks for the gifts of home grown fruit and veg, we had some of the tomatoes with our tea time meal and they tasted really good :)

It was a pleasure meeting Ken and Mrs T. It was great to see and play a few of Ken's ukes and find out why they are so highly regarded. They are beautifully made and finished and sound superb.

Regular visitors to this forum will know that Ken is generous with his help and support. So it was no surprise that I was able to visit his tidy and organised workshop and talk about jigs and tools and uke making.

Its great exchanging ideas on the forum but having a face to face meeting puts some icing on the cake.

Thanks for welcoming me to your home/workshop Ken and Mrs T.

Doesn't it take about 9mins to drive the length of England? ;)

120 miles each way (almost coast to coast), no traffic today and nice weather. So a scenic drive at 50-70 mph making it 2 hours 15 mins door to door in my 1.4tsi MK6 Golf.

Not much longer than that ... but the breadth of England, that's a whole different story ... the motorways don't run east-west, it's all drovers roads and cattle tracks over the mountains ... and stunningly beautiful scenery ;)

Sure, that's what I thought, and then we drove from Wolverhampton to St. Chad's Church in Shrewsbury (Wales) - about 30 miles.

Took us over 2 hours. Then another 30 miles to Llangollen.

4 Hours.

If they would just stop putting interesting places on the roads, and start putting directional signage, things would have been so much easier! (This was long before we thought about a GPS; we were using an MAP... - it was, after all, 1994...)

Top Bottom