Help! Faux Turquoise Rosette

sequoia

Reaction score
Trying to work on a custom ukulele where the client insists on a recon stone faux turquoise rosette. The infamous Vegan Uke. I have found some faux turquoise from LMI in a 2"x 6"x 0.060" stock, but have no idea how to cut out a rosette. Obviously arcs have to be cut out and I can do that, but thinking of waste and how many arcs I have to cut. Some advice on how to do this appreciated. Interestingly, she sent a picture of what she wants from some guy named Chuck Moore. Never heard of him (!). Yeah Right... Below what she wants. My reply was: Just buy an uke from Chuck. I can't do this because it costs too much. Oh, and can you do a whale instead of a turtle? I like whales better... I have about reached the end of my teather and I'm gonna say: What you see is what you got. The custom uke from hell.

DSC_0013-3.jpg

I cant help with the rosette but how do you like to work with custom orders? I know you have sold a few ukes but is this the first where the customer is involved from the beginning? Glad to see you are getting orders, your builds always look great. A while back I actually contemplated contacting you about one, but I started building myself instead :).

You could use crushed turquoise and CA.

But it sounds like your client has something rather more particular in mind (a 'moore bettah cheapah ukulele' perhaps?)...

I'd be tempted to explain how environmentally destructive* turquoise mining is, and suggest a nice environmentally friendly* celluloid alternative would give a similar effect.

* May or may not be factual.

I doubt there is real turquise in the recon stone. Rescue Pearl in Rescue California has a pretty good selection of recon stone and I belive about half the price of LMI. She is good people.

I suppose he's not asking for hide glue and cat gut strings either..are worm holes allowed:rolleyes:

I've learned a long time ago that the most productive time in my shop is that time spent screening customers and saying no. These days I'm about one uke away from giving up custom ukes all together. It can be so time consuming and energy draining. Many customers are truly a pleasure to work with. But those who want you to work outside your comfort zone that make you want to beat you head against the wall. Just say no and save yourself the grief. I do it all the time.

Last edited:
I've learned a long time ago that the most productive time in my shop is that time spent screening customers and saying no. These days I'm about one uke away from giving up custom ukes all together. It can be so time consuming and energy draining. Many customers are truly a pleasure to work with. Mits those who want you to work outside your comfort zone that make you want to beat you head against the wall. Just say no and save yourself the grief. I do it all the time.

I totally agree with Chuck. I've been doing more wood turnings and jewelry/music boxes rather than ukes lately to sell at craft fairs. (I can turn out more product and sell 'em faster.) I make what I like, and most customers appreciate my craftsmanship and design. I've done custom work for special requests and they always come and bite me in the ass. Now I only consider custom work if the customer understands the nature of the wood and signs off on exactly the embellishments they're getting.

I don't do customer builds ..I just make e'm and put them in the shop window (Ebay)...I keep getting asked if I have a website...But I dont know how to go about getting one...To be honest I cant be bothered....I'll have about a dozen ukes ready for sale leading up to Xmas.

I don't do customer builds ..I just make e'm and put them in the shop window (Ebay)...I keep getting asked if I have a website...But I dont know how to go about getting one...To be honest I cant be bothered....I'll have about a dozen ukes ready for sale leading up to Xmas.

You're smarter than most of us. You can easily spend as much time with a customer as building their uke.

Not to give Facebook too much credit, but this site needs a "Like" button, 'cause that s**'s hilarious, Ken, but doesn't really warrant a comment in and of itself!

Not to give Facebook too much credit, but this site needs a "Like" button, 'cause that s**'s hilarious, Ken, but doesn't really warrant a comment in and of itself!

That's funny. I often see something on this forum that I like and I immediately go to click the "Like" button! Haha. You can see where I spend my time!

Some of the best advice on instrument building is right here; special requests.
(One of the things that stopped my guitar building). After having built a really nice instrument, I got three requests for custom guitars that became a nightmare of finding the material and skill to properly fulfill the list of items for those guitars.

I really "like" the answers you folks have posted, and would like to press the "like" button also.

Top Bottom