Slotted headstock or not?

DebRocks

Reaction score
I've been doing some shopping around lately to upgrade on my beginner uke and I find myself curious about slotted headstocks.

Aside from the obvious differences in appearance, what might I be missing in pros and cons?

Don't know about the pros and cons in detail, but the slotted headstock could be lighter and therefore result in a more "balanced" feeling when holding the ukulele (lighter neck overall). Surely no dramatic real-life difference, but may be a small detail.

My Kanile'a DLX has a slotted headstock and I like it. Needs a little bit more attention to re-string it nicely, though.

for me it seems to be merely a matter of looks and what appeals to you.

I finally got a slotted headstock on my HPL Enya X1 concert, and frankly, besides admiring it BEFORE playing.
once I begin playing, I totally lose sight of the headstock so I am oblivious of its appearance.

it's nice to look at, but I don't notice any advantage when playing... perhaps it looks better to thye audience (?) :)

keep uke'in',

I never noticed the difference and I find it harder to change strings on a slot head, so unless it's part of the Uke I am interested in, I wouldn't go out of my way to look for one. For me, it would not be the reason why I went with it.

I really like the look of a slotted headstock and I think it makes a difference to the sound of the uke.

You may find this video helpful (he starts talking about slotted headstocks at about 2:15):

I've been doing some shopping around lately to upgrade on my beginner uke and I find myself curious about slotted headstocks.

Aside from the obvious differences in appearance, what might I be missing in pros and cons?

The only instrument I've got with a slotted headstock is my new mandolin. Hadn't even considered the pro's or cons 'till I tuned this up out of the box ... it's just so much easier with all the tuning keys in the same orientation ... much more comfortable for my arthritic thumb ... probably ideal for anyone obsessed with replacing their strings on a regular basis ;)

I don't think that there's anything wrong with enjoying somethin' on ones Uke because it's "just for looks." I'm not against slotted fret heads or other decorations on Ukes even if they don't improve the sound. I like bling.

Everyone is so, so overly interested in sound. A little sharp lookin' stuff on my Ukes is not gonna change the sound.

I used to like them. Now I'd rather not have one because then I would'nt have my Grover planetary tuners. Love em!

I don't have a strong preference. I have one ukulele with a slotted headstock and I like both the look of them on larger ukuleles and that it's easier to restring (for me at least), but it's a fairly minor difference overall. I agree with Nickie that planetary tuners make a huge difference, however. I have them on one ukulele and I hope to have them on another soprano I might eventually get as well. So with a soprano or concert, I'd go straight for planetary tuners over the alternatives.

I seem to recall reading in the luthier section that slotted headstocks may lead to better sound, but I don't recall details, or whether I'm even remembering correctly.

I have three ukes with slotted headstocks and three without. Two of the three slotted are my best sounding, one has the least projection and resonance of all my ukes. Two of the solid headstocks sound fine, and my resent, a Godin Multiuke is a chambered solid body so cannot compare, but it sounds really good amped or not amped.

I have ukes with both and it is mostly looks but there are some real differences in the physical department. Sam13 has two indentical Pono tenors one with slotted headstock and one solid, the slotted headstock is much more head heavy. The headstock thickness on the slotted is almost twice that of the solid and the hardware is bigger. You would think with the material removed for the slots it would be lighter but comparing idential instruments the slotted is more head heavy.

The transistion taper from nut width to the headstock is more gradual with the solid headstock making a E7 chord easier to form. On the slotted your hand get kinda jammed up against the abrupt flair. Again this is playing indentical Pono tenors back to back. Other manufactures might be a bit different but the headstock material always has to be thicker on the slotted to accomdate the tuner width.

20160922_081059.jpg20160922_080752.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know about the pros and cons in detail, but the slotted headstock could be lighter and therefore result in a more "balanced" feeling when holding the ukulele (lighter neck overall). Surely no dramatic real-life difference, but may be a small detail.

My Kanile'a DLX has a slotted headstock and I like it. Needs a little bit more attention to re-string it nicely, though.

I have ukes with both and it is mostly looks but there are some real differences in the physical department. Sam13 has two indentical Pono tenors one with slotted headstock and one solid, the slotted headstock is much more head heavy. The headstock thickness on the slotted is almost twice that of the solid and the hardware is bigger. You would think with the material removed for the slots it would be lighter but comparing idential instruments the slotted is more head heavy.

The transistion taper from nut width to the headstock is more gradual with the solid headstock making a E7 chord easier to form. On the slotted your hand get kinda jammed up against the abrupt flair. Again this is playing indentical Pono tenors back to back. Other manufactures might be a bit different but the headstock material always has to be thicker on the slotted to accomdate the tuner width.

View attachment 94490View attachment 94491
I hesitated to say anything before, but they do look bulky and heavy.

Wouldn't have guessed that the SLOTTED one is more heavy. Interesting info.

Awww, c'mon, does anyone really care about the weight of a ukulele-peg head? Get a strap. Rest your elbow on the arm of your chair. Get your significant other to hold it up for you. My God, what if you played a . . .a . . . GUITAR!

Lift weights or somethin' . . . :eek:ld:

((Now don't get all bent outta shape. I was just afunnin'.))

Last edited:
:) No real-world problem for me - just was surprised, I would have guessed that the "normal" headstock weights more...

Awww, c'mon, does anyone really care about the weight of a ukulele-peg head? Get a strap. Rest your elbow on the arm of your chair. Get your significant other to hold it up for you. My God, what if you played a . . .a . . . GUITAR!

Lift weights or somethin' . . . :eek:ld:

((Now don't get all bent outta shape. I was just afunnin'.))
Weight isn't a factor with me, I go to the gym twice a month. But they look chunky, and I don't like that so much.

I only have a slotted on my baritone, & I did notice the extra weight of the head stock.

But the whole uke is also heavier than anything that I had had up until then - I don't think I would want one on a smaller uke though. :)

Not me. I had one, and wasn't particularly fond of it.
I prefer a solid on, because I love the tuners that stick out the back (Planetary) instead of the sides.
Doh! your tuners stick backward too, but I still prefer solid headstocks.

Top Bottom