The End of UAS?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
UAS runs rampant here, and in my heart as well. LOL.

Some of you have overcome UAS. What was the secret? Finding "the right one"?

I'm very happy with the ukuleles I'm very fortunate to have, but can't help but browse all the same - though I can't imagine why I would need another ukulele. It's fun to look...as long UAS doesn't sneak up on me.

I thought getting a Kamaka would end it for me, but I still find myself looking at other ukuleles. I love my Kamaka. I play it every day, but I still keep looking at other stuff. Maybe the Blackbird Clara I have on the way will end that, but I'm still not able to shake the UAS desires. Hopefully someone has a magical formula to beat UAS, but I won't hold my breath.

My UAS stopped......for a little while...twice......then it came back! ;)

Just bought solid mahogany, because that is the sound/tone I seem to like best. :)

I was holding off from solids until I knew for sure - cedar topped is good too - for me. :D

My UAS changed somewhat. I'm happy with the ukuleles I have in each size, and learned that some sizes aren't for me, so I haven't been terribly lusting after ukes in sizes that I already own. But in turn, I started wanting to explore other sizes, so I ended up with a baritone and a guitarlele. :) Currently I'm generally more inclined to sell some of my ukes than add more, though, or at least do trades, depending on which direction my size preferences take.

I thought running out of storage space would be the cure...............wrong again!

It is a strange infliction. I think it depends on your personality, I've always been an experimenter and curious about different things. This has lead me to buy try and sell if I'm not happy or keep it if I am. I have also found my tone preference changes. I have settled on tenor and baritone but some days I like a bright sound other days warm and mellow. It also boils down to the music I feel like playing, some ukes have a sound better suited to classical, some better suited to the blues, country or rock.

That was my long rationalizing answer for..........sorry can't help you :p

I don't think there is a single strain of UAS. For instance, I have never been the type to get more than one uke per 'slot' - re-entrant tenor, linear tenor, 6 string, 8 string, solid body electric, etc. I sometimes end up with more than one for a slot because I find that there are actually more slots. For instance, I got my Risa to be a solid body tenor, but it turns out that it is a great travel uke.

I sometimes end up with more than one uke per slot as I upgrade, but this is temporal. So if I have UAS because I have 10 or 12 ukes, so be it. But I am not looking to buy more.

On the other hand, there are folks around here who seem to get many ukes of the same type. I even met one fellow (a great guy who shall remain nameless) who had owned 400 ukes in his lifetime. So different strokes, etc.

For me, I have found my UAS toning down as I get better instruments and I find there is a deep well of appreciation for these instruments that takes time to absorb. But that may be temporary too.

Running out of money was my secret.

It has stopped you from acquiring, but if you had the money, would you still want to do so?

I don't really want to acquire anything else, (right now, LOL), but I still find myself looking, and that could be dangerous. LOL.

I cured my UAS by switching my primary instrument to mandolin. And there I seem to be quite content with the one I have.

I'm in the process of selling all my ukes except my LFDM tenor.

This worked for me as well. 100% cured!

Might only be a temporary cure until money is more abundant again! One also only needs little food... and no TV ... and why not blankets instead of a heater? ;)

I think UAS also hamstrung my learning process. I often wonder where my playing ability would be if I had managed to stick to just one or two ukes. Listening to Corey, Wilfried, WS64 and others, and what they can get out of even inexpensive ukuleles, shows me that the sound we are after is probably already within us. (I'm only at ten, and hoping to downsize to 3-4 within a year.)

I bought one uke, then upgraded after a year, and I've not bought another. I'm fine with the two that I have. I play the upgrade one mostly, and my beginner is relegated to the beach. I understand people's UAS, and I am happy for people who have it, because I like seeing and reading about what they are buying. Especially if it is a custom. And I look at ukes all the time, but honesty, there are so many ukes that I like, I wouldn't even know where to start. So, I just look at them, and play the two that I have.

I cured my UAS by switching my primary instrument to mandolin. And there I seem to be quite content with the one I have.

I have sometimes wondered if UAS is, at least in some cases, related to the quest for the right instrument rather than the right ukulele. A certain type of UAS probably is, just seeing how some folks go through a dozen ukes, then get a classical guitar, and stop there with just one. Or like with your mandolin experience.

For me UAS ended with a better understanding of what I enjoy playing, and my matching up instruments with my playing style. For my classical finger style I have my perfect instrument, a kiwaya laminate soprano that easily outperforms my previous kanilea and Cocobolo, for note separation, clarity and chime. Since getting it I got rid of those others. I also enjoy playing claw hammer style and currently am using a flea concert for this. It is perfect playability wise however I don't love the separation or sensitivity to (for instance) hammer on and pull offs. I hope to try a Deering banjolele as an end goal for claw hammer if it meets my need.

But all of this only came about once I had a better understanding of my playing style.

Ah but the chase is the fun, so to speak. The unicorn of ukuleles.

I have sometimes wondered if UAS is, at least in some cases, related to the quest for the right instrument rather than the right ukulele. A certain type of UAS probably is, just seeing how some folks go through a dozen ukes, then get a classical guitar, and stop there with just one. Or like with your mandolin experience.

I think you're exactly right in my case. Thank you for this wonderful insight. I do feel more free to pursue the music rather than another instrument.

I "think" I've got all the ukuleles I want ... plus maybe a couple that have proved to be effectively surplus to requirement in that they hardly ever get played. For me it's all been part of a learning curve. At the moment, any new purchases are likely to be based on aesthetic attraction ... it'll have to look good as well as play better than whatever it's replacing. In the meantime, I'm happy with what I've got :)

I was more or less happy with what I had then I heard Phil Doleman's Taropatch (8 string) and decided I wanted an 8 string for the extra chime they seem to have. I didn't order one because I couldn't decide what tuning I wanted. Then I got hit with some expensive repairs to the roof of my house so new ukuleles are out just now until I can build up funds. Also ukulele funds were raided for harmonicas. I have a fair collection of diatonic harps but decided to get a chromatic - fatal decision! HAS kicked in I fairly quickly acquired a second chromatic in a different key and two Seydel Samplers. These last are made like a chromatic but are really a two key diatonic and I have one in G & D and one in D & A which covers the main keys you find in instrumental folk. (Then the roof repairs reared their ugly head)

Edit to add: I'll get that 8 string one day :iwant:

I'm in the process of selling all my ukes except my LFDM tenor.

Been there. MAS is more deadly from a financial basis than UAS, and it too willl happen. Through my MASitis I ended up going through close to a dozen mandos, and the pricetags were mind-boggling (and I didn't go big-time). I just keep two inexpensive ones now, each a different style, just to mess around occassionally. The very good mandos easily run four figures ($£€) and the really good ones can tag into five. Too rich for my blood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom