Kala KTGE-C String Issue

Richie718

Reaction score
I just purchased a Kala KTGE-C Tenor as a second uke, to keep setup as a high G. I love it. Great uke for the money. The strings that are on the uke are D'Addario EJ87T (titaniums). I really like them. I wanted to purchase more strings. The only thing is, the C is a wound string, it is not part of the set. Kala did a mix and match, I think it works. I have someone at Kala trying to get me some info. Does anyone know what the C string is? I couldn't get an answer from D'Addario, as to what string it actually is. All they could tell me was that they don't make a set like that.

I use a D'Addario .024" wound for the C string. The .026" wound as Jollyboy opined would probably also work but it will have more tension than a .024". For info, I use a .028" wound for the G string (low G). You can buy these as single strings from JustStrings.com.

I use a D'Addario .024" wound for the C string. The .026" wound as Jollyboy opined would probably also work but it will have more tension than a .024". For info, I use a .028" wound for the G string (low G). You can buy these as single strings from JustStrings.com.

I think I must have had brain freeze :) The NYL024 is indeed what I am currently using for C on my Kala cedar top tenor. Although I'm using a NYL030 for the low-G.

I think I must have had brain freeze :) The NYL024 is indeed what I am currently using for C on my Kala cedar top tenor. Although I'm using a NYL030 for the low-G.

There's a wide variance in what you can use for strings, it all just depends to a large extent how much tension an individual prefers. Generally speaking, higher tensioned strings provide more volume and a better tone than lesser tensioned strings, all other things being equal. Myself, I prefer lesser tensioned strings realizing that I am sacrificing some volume and tone.

I would think the person/shop you bought the uke from knows what kind of string is on there.....I know Ko'olau Alohi strings have a wound C string and they use TE's with the set too.....and they come from D'Addario

Last edited:
OK, here's an update. I went to home depot and purchased a digital caliper, which I may or may not return because it seems a little jumpy with it's measurements. After measuring a number of times, I came to the conclusion that the strings (EJ87T) measurements are what the package says. The wound C was giving me .036 ~ .038. I sent a question to Just strings, and they answered me back with:
D'Addario Folk Guitar Ball End Silverplated Copper Wound, .037, BES037W. At this point, I would think they're right because the measurement is what I got. Now to give it a try.

I'd like to thank all of you for your responses.

OK, here's an update. I went to home depot and purchased a digital caliper, which I may or may not return because it seems a little jumpy with it's measurements. After measuring a number of times, I came to the conclusion that the strings (EJ87T) measurements are what the package says. The wound C was giving me .036 ~ .038. I sent a question to Just strings, and they answered me back with:
D'Addario Folk Guitar Ball End Silverplated Copper Wound, .037, BES037W. At this point, I would think they're right because the measurement is what I got. Now to give it a try.

I'd like to thank all of you for your responses.

That's a really heavy gauge for a wound C string. The D'Addario string tension pdf gives a unit weight of .00020258. At a standard 17" tenor scale that's going to give you 23.28 lbs of tension on a single course. I would really advise you to double-check your measurement. And think twice before putting that string on your uke.

I checked the measurement, it is .036. THE UKE (KtGE-C) came with it. I think if I can't figure this out, when I replace them, I'll just use the set with no mix and match.

Last edited:
PS, like Hawaii50 said, might be Ko'olau Alohis...

That would make sense - they come with an .036 aluminium wound C. And aluminium is less dense than silver so presumably the unit weight/tension would be less even though it's quite a thick string :)

Edit: also the D'Addario EJ53T Pro-Arté Rectified nylon tenor set comes with an .036 aluminium wound C (11.9 lbs tension - that sounds a bit better :)). Maybe that's where the string originated from.

And here it is to buy as a single at Just Strings.

I believe my work here is done :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom