James Hill workshop. WOW!

bunnyf

Reaction score
Just got back from James Hill's workshop.it was just excellent. The best workshop I have ever been to and I've been to many. He covered twin chords, which was so interesting and useful. But my favorite part was learning to do harmony by singing the strings. Besides being very informative, Mr. Hill was entertaining, engaging, and organized. Every bit of his presentation was solid. I got more absolute gems from this workshop than every workshop I've ever taken all rolled together. There were ah-ha moments and things you could implement immediately to improve your playing, as well as things you can take away and work on to expand your skills and ukulele enjoyment. And what's even better, is that these things you will work on seemed very attainable, with the info he presented. I can't recommend this workshop enough. It was a privilege to be able to attend.

James Hill is one of my favorite people in the ukulele world. Glad you got a lot out of his workshop.

Was this/are these workshops advertised anywhere with a schedule or calendar?

I've checked James' web site every so often and don't recall seeing them listed, and would sign up for one if the timing was right and it was local enough to me.

Thanks for sharing the info! :)

I play with the SLO Strummers in San Luis Opispo and it was announced to our membership first and then to SLO art museum patrons. It sold out immediately. Mr Hill also did a few additional concerts in town, I believe at Cal Poly. I think they were by invit. only, charitable events.

You mention all the "little things" you learned, ie. tips, tricks & a-ha moments.
He gives a lot of those tips and tricks in his video course "The Ukulele Way" as well.

Jealous! And envious. James is one of my uke role models and heroes. I love his playing but his teaching style is awesome. Glad you had a great time.

You mention all the "little things" you learned, ie. tips, tricks & a-ha moments.
He gives a lot of those tips and tricks in his video course "The Ukulele Way" as well.

I started the ukulele way several months ago and really like it. I'm an early intermediary player and wanted to get into chord melody and wanted to improve all my fundamentals. I'm taking it slow and enjoying each lesson.

This workshop would appeal to all levels of players and was not directed toward developing fingerstyle.

It was a great workshop. I have never been to bad one by James. He started me down the ukulele path years ago. It was definitely worth the 3 hour drive to spend time with him and Anne.

I really get a lot out of workshops. I would love to attend one by James Hill.

I really get a lot out of workshops. I would love to attend one by James Hill.

I'm actually, the opposite. I am usually not impressed with many workshops I attend. They often seem like they need work on content, presentation and organization. People can be good players but not great teachers. Mr. Hill is the whole package...not to be missed if you have an opportunity.

I'm actually, the opposite. I am usually not impressed with many workshops I attend. They often seem like they need work on content, presentation and organization. People can be good players but not great teachers. Mr. Hill is the whole package...not to be missed if you have an opportunity.

Same in my experience. There are not many uke workshops unfortunately offered in my area (who would have thought in the big city of Chicago there aren't many uke related workshops and events?), but one that was offered through a local uke club I went to and just wasn't very good, which I say that fully knowing that I'm a tough customer as I've already got a lot of musical background.

Doing the JHUI certification with James would be a dream come true for me as I am a music teacher and uke is a big part of what we do in my school. I would gladly just do a workshop as well with him. His chord melody approach and how he tackles technique with smooth lyrical clean playing mixed in with actually learning about music is just awesome.

Agreed 100%. I have not taken a workshop with him, but his online experience is super professional and without peer.

After attending a lot of workshops at three festivals, I've determined they don't generally work for me. The only workshops I found to be well run were Lil' Rev's and Kimo's. Both command the classroom and keep everyone engaged. With the others I've attended, I feel like it's scene from Fast Time at Ridgemont High or something: side conversations, people riffing on their own, somebody constantly being lost and interrupting and the instructor not able to manage the classroom. I'm not suggesting it's easy, if it was, more people would be good at it.

I've learned quite a bit from Jame's workshops. I've gone to many during the past 8 years or so. I especially enjoyed a semi private one that was held in someone's basement where we learned the "sing the string" technique. I enjoy his playing and his music. I was very sad recently when I attended a workshop of his in NJ. (4 1/2 hour drive away for me). I already knew the stuff he was teaching ): Though it was called something else it was basically learning chorded melody. I can work out a melody on my own and remember it better that way. I find most workshops these days disappointing because they always seem to cater to the beginner or intermediate even when they call it an advanced class.

I saw James Hill and his wife Anne Janelle in concert this spring. They more than lived up to my expectations. Simply fantastic.

Now, my 11-year-old tells me that her music teacher is giving a workshop with James Hill next April. I think I had better go along with her for moral support. 8^)

Okay, now that you've dangled the carrot, what does he mean by "twin chords" and "singing the string"? Just a brief description would aid the curious. It's hard to tell from these invented names whether what he's presenting is something new to oneself or already in one's bag of tricks. For instance, I'd guess that "twin chords" refers to dyads (note pairs used to suggest fuller harmonies), but I could be far off the mark.

Chord twins are basically sets of chords that have the exact same shape and also fit together harmonically. G6 and D7 are an example, as well as Fsus2 and C7.

Singing the strings probably alludes to a concept he's talked about in his ukulele in the classroom series. It involves fingerpicking notes and singing the note names while picking notes at the same time. Sounds simple but really helps with sight reading, matching pitch, (and for me getting young kids to sing!)

Okay, now that you've dangled the carrot, what does he mean by "twin chords" and "singing the string"? Just a brief description would aid the curious. It's hard to tell from these invented names whether what he's presenting is something new to oneself or already in one's bag of tricks. For instance, I'd guess that "twin chords" refers to dyads (note pairs used to suggest fuller harmonies), but I could be far off the mark.
On its most basic level, twin chords are pairs that share a similar shape and are in the I V positions and work out nicely in a simple 3 ch prog. Ex. G6 and haw D7, comb w/ C6. Hope I'm explaining it correctly. There were several other twins. Each had a particular vibe too. Singing the strings, told you how to pick out any particular harmony, by just making the chord shapes and changes for any song but just picking out one string (usually the 1st,2nd or 3rd) and singing that note. Super useful. I always thought that folks sung a note that was part of the chord to harmonize, but never put it together that I could make the chord shape and decide on a string (I'm an alto, so often the G for me) and just pitch my singing to that note as we proceed thru the song and it's chord changes. Very helpful.

Bunnyf where did you do the workshop? My wife and I were also at a workshop James recently did in Parrsboro, Nova Scotia where he covered twin chords. James and Anne did a little concert and we also all played some numbers with them too.

Bunnyf where did you do the workshop? My wife and I were also at a workshop James recently did in Parrsboro, Nova Scotia where he covered twin chords. James and Anne did a little concert and we also all played some numbers with them too.

Mr. Hill did say that he had just come from Nova Scotia. We are in San Luis Obispo, CA on the central coast of California in wine country. He did 3 gigs in SLO, I believe and we were lucky enough to have him do a workshop with my uke group, the SLO Strummers. He also did a concert after our workshop (limited enrollment) and folks who didn't get to go to the workshop could come to the concert. Anne played wonderful cello.

I would love to attend a workshop with James Hill. He has done great things for ukulele education.

Top Bottom