Mya Moe Radiused Fretboard

whmeltonjr

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with a Mya Moe radiused fretboard? I recently submitted a request with them to see if anything was in the pipeline that suited my needs, and they do have one that is very close, but it has a radiused fretboard. I have a Blackbird Clara with a radiused fretboard that will be here sooner or later, but even then it probably won't be the same as the Mya Moe.

I have owned a Mya Moe tenor and they come with a 12" radiused fretboard. I have other tenors with 14" and 16" radius fretboards, these are less of a radius then the Mya Moe. To be honest I could not really tell the difference. Mya Moe makes a great product and most people rave about the ease of playability. Mya Moe only makes ukes with a radius fretboard.

Dave, thanks for the reply. They do have flat fretboards available per the email conversation I had with them. How different does their fretboard feel compared to a flat one? I don't really have anything to go off of with 12" vs 14" etc since I've only played flat ones.

Some people love them. Others don't. Many can't tell the difference. Asking around, I'm afraid, will not help you very much You have a couple of options. Find someone who has an ukulele with a radiused fretboard and try it out, try to find a cheap one to purchase and give it a try, wait for your Blackbird, or just buy the Mya Moe (probably the best option).
I had a Mya Moe built for me before they were well known. I didn't like playing it (due to the radius, I think). I sold it a couple of years later for the original purchase price.

The radiused fretboard truly is something that differs from individual to individual. Having owned 2 of them, while I found them overall extremely comfortable and easy to play, I cannot fully ascertain that to the radiused element. In all honesty, I don't feel that much of a difference between their radius and a flat board, with a possible exception when it comes to full barre chords up the neck, I found I buzzed a good amount less. They are quality instruments with quality sound and the MM crew are some of the best regarding customer service. And as stated, they do offer a flat fretboard upon request.

Some people love them. Others don't. Many can't tell the difference. Asking around, I'm afraid, will not help you very much You have a couple of options. Find someone who has an ukulele with a radiused fretboard and try it out, try to find a cheap one to purchase and give it a try, wait for your Blackbird, or just buy the Mya Moe (probably the best option).
I had a Mya Moe built for me before they were well known. I didn't like playing it (due to the radius, I think). I sold it a couple of years later for the original purchase price.

I think you are right about the asking around part sadly, but I had to give it a shot. I have been looking at various custom/semi-custom ukuleles, and whatever I wind up buying I know I need to get right the first time because I won't be able to convice the wife I need a second custom.

I think you are right about the asking around part sadly, but I had to give it a shot. I have been looking at various custom/semi-custom ukuleles, and whatever I wind up buying I know I need to get right the first time because I won't be able to convice the wife I need a second custom.

I feel your position. I would ask you, why do you feel you need a custom? I see in your signature you already have a Kamaka HF-3, which is also clearly a quality instrument. One of the lessons I've learned in my own experience is identifying what makes a custom instrument differ from a "stock" instrument, but also understanding that it may not necessarily be "better", especially when comparing to a K brand.

I feel your position. I would ask you, why do you feel you need a custom? I see in your signature you already have a Kamaka HF-3, which is also clearly a quality instrument. One of the lessons I've learned in my own experience is identifying what makes a custom instrument differ from a "stock" instrument, but also understanding that it may not necessarily be "better", especially when comparing to a K brand.

Need is probably not the right word. :D I've been listening to different wood combinations, and spruce top with koa bottom and sides has caught my ear.

I play alot of music with barring ... like 85% of my songs.

So a radius DOES help in executing cleaner chords, with less stress. Without a doubt.

If I have a choice, I ALWAYS go for a radius ... and will take vanilla over chocolate cake every time as well. LOL.

I didn't know Mya Moe did that. All Cocobolo Ukuleles come radiused too. I find it somewhat more comfortable. It is a learning curve (no pun intended), I have to pay attention during barre chords that I apply enough pressure to the A string or it will sound dead. I play that uke way more than my two flat fretboard ukes now.

I play alot of music with barring ... like 85% of my songs.

So a radius DOES help in executing cleaner chords, with less stress. Without a doubt.

If I have a choice, I ALWAYS go for a radius ... and will take vanilla over chocolate cake every time as well. LOL.

I play a decent amount of barre chords as well, but don't really have any issues with my Kamaka. My larger concern was how it would feel with fingerpicking patterns.

I just got word that I probably won't receive my Clara for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if the Mya Moe will be around in 3 weeks. Decisions decisions.

I play a decent amount of barre chords as well, but don't really have any issues with my Kamaka. My larger concern was how it would feel with fingerpicking patterns.

I just got word that I probably won't receive my Clara for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if the Mya Moe will be around in 3 weeks. Decisions decisions.

Get them both!

Need is probably not the right word. :D I've been listening to different wood combinations, and spruce top with koa bottom and sides has caught my ear.

Got it...hate to go down this rabbit hole, but what is it specifically about a custom uke with spruce top and koa back and sides that you feel differentiates it from a stock uke that also has spruce top and koa back and sides?

Got it...hate to go down this rabbit hole, but what is it specifically about a custom uke with spruce top and koa back and sides that you feel differentiates it from a stock uke that also has spruce top and koa back and sides?

How many ukuleles are there that meet that criteria? Searching HMS comes up with a Ko'aloha Tenor that costs more than the Mya Moe in question.

EDIT: I also want a slotted headstock, which eliminates the Ko'aloha.

Last edited:
I don't notice much difference going from my MyaMoe to my other ukes which have flat fret boards. YMMV

I've had a couple of MM'S over the years, both with radiused fret boards. Easier with barred chords, and some getting used to for finger picking. Anyway, used them more for strumming. If you played them exclusively or predominantly I don't think there would be any issues.

Last edited:
What position is your finger when barring a fret? My fingers are as a straight as pencils, don't even need finger muscles to do that. Flat works better for me in this situation.

Also, are you more a strummer more than a picker? The curve of the strings for a radius fretboard(and nut and saddle) takes a minute or two for me to adjust. Radiused isn't always better. Still the radius height difference is very small, and I play flat and radiused FBs with no real problem.

How many ukuleles are there that meet that criteria? Searching HMS comes up with a Ko'aloha Tenor that costs more than the Mya Moe in question.

EDIT: I also want a slotted headstock, which eliminates the Ko'aloha.

Kanilea carries a spruce koa with slotted headstock. I think there's one currently on HMS, but without the slotted.

Are you still able to get on the MM build list?

What position is your finger when barring a fret? My fingers are as a straight as pencils, don't even need finger muscles to do that. Flat works better for me in this situation.

Ditto. I find it easier to get an even pressure on a flat fingerboard. A lot of people seem to find barring easier on a radius though, so I guess they must use a different technique.

I have just been working on a Christmas song with a couple of series of barred chords from 5-2. It is relatively easier on my tenor MM than on my Kala. Overall the MM is a quantum better but I think the radius does help.
It feels and looks good too.

Top Bottom