PDA

View Full Version : Mya Moe Radiused Fretboard

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 03:39 AM
Does anybody have any experience with a Mya Moe radiused fretboard? I recently submitted a request with them to see if anything was in the pipeline that suited my needs, and they do have one that is very close, but it has a radiused fretboard. I have a Blackbird Clara with a radiused fretboard that will be here sooner or later, but even then it probably won't be the same as the Mya Moe.

DownUpDave
09-22-2016, 04:01 AM
I have owned a Mya Moe tenor and they come with a 12" radiused fretboard. I have other tenors with 14" and 16" radius fretboards, these are less of a radius then the Mya Moe. To be honest I could not really tell the difference. Mya Moe makes a great product and most people rave about the ease of playability. Mya Moe only makes ukes with a radius fretboard.

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 04:14 AM
Dave, thanks for the reply. They do have flat fretboards available per the email conversation I had with them. How different does their fretboard feel compared to a flat one? I don't really have anything to go off of with 12" vs 14" etc since I've only played flat ones.

stevepetergal
09-22-2016, 05:10 AM
Some people love them. Others don't. Many can't tell the difference. Asking around, I'm afraid, will not help you very much You have a couple of options. Find someone who has an ukulele with a radiused fretboard and try it out, try to find a cheap one to purchase and give it a try, wait for your Blackbird, or just buy the Mya Moe (probably the best option).
I had a Mya Moe built for me before they were well known. I didn't like playing it (due to the radius, I think). I sold it a couple of years later for the original purchase price.

Recstar24
09-22-2016, 05:15 AM
The radiused fretboard truly is something that differs from individual to individual. Having owned 2 of them, while I found them overall extremely comfortable and easy to play, I cannot fully ascertain that to the radiused element. In all honesty, I don't feel that much of a difference between their radius and a flat board, with a possible exception when it comes to full barre chords up the neck, I found I buzzed a good amount less. They are quality instruments with quality sound and the MM crew are some of the best regarding customer service. And as stated, they do offer a flat fretboard upon request.

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 05:17 AM
Some people love them. Others don't. Many can't tell the difference. Asking around, I'm afraid, will not help you very much You have a couple of options. Find someone who has an ukulele with a radiused fretboard and try it out, try to find a cheap one to purchase and give it a try, wait for your Blackbird, or just buy the Mya Moe (probably the best option).
I had a Mya Moe built for me before they were well known. I didn't like playing it (due to the radius, I think). I sold it a couple of years later for the original purchase price.

I think you are right about the asking around part sadly, but I had to give it a shot. I have been looking at various custom/semi-custom ukuleles, and whatever I wind up buying I know I need to get right the first time because I won't be able to convice the wife I need a second custom.

Recstar24
09-22-2016, 05:31 AM
I think you are right about the asking around part sadly, but I had to give it a shot. I have been looking at various custom/semi-custom ukuleles, and whatever I wind up buying I know I need to get right the first time because I won't be able to convice the wife I need a second custom.

I feel your position. I would ask you, why do you feel you need a custom? I see in your signature you already have a Kamaka HF-3, which is also clearly a quality instrument. One of the lessons I've learned in my own experience is identifying what makes a custom instrument differ from a "stock" instrument, but also understanding that it may not necessarily be "better", especially when comparing to a K brand.

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 06:53 AM
I feel your position. I would ask you, why do you feel you need a custom? I see in your signature you already have a Kamaka HF-3, which is also clearly a quality instrument. One of the lessons I've learned in my own experience is identifying what makes a custom instrument differ from a "stock" instrument, but also understanding that it may not necessarily be "better", especially when comparing to a K brand.

Need is probably not the right word. :D I've been listening to different wood combinations, and spruce top with koa bottom and sides has caught my ear.

sam13
09-22-2016, 08:46 AM
I play alot of music with barring ... like 85% of my songs.

So a radius DOES help in executing cleaner chords, with less stress. Without a doubt.

If I have a choice, I ALWAYS go for a radius ... and will take vanilla over chocolate cake every time as well. LOL.

Nickie
09-22-2016, 08:53 AM
I didn't know Mya Moe did that. All Cocobolo Ukuleles come radiused too. I find it somewhat more comfortable. It is a learning curve (no pun intended), I have to pay attention during barre chords that I apply enough pressure to the A string or it will sound dead. I play that uke way more than my two flat fretboard ukes now.

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 08:53 AM
I play alot of music with barring ... like 85% of my songs.

So a radius DOES help in executing cleaner chords, with less stress. Without a doubt.

If I have a choice, I ALWAYS go for a radius ... and will take vanilla over chocolate cake every time as well. LOL.

I play a decent amount of barre chords as well, but don't really have any issues with my Kamaka. My larger concern was how it would feel with fingerpicking patterns.

I just got word that I probably won't receive my Clara for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if the Mya Moe will be around in 3 weeks. Decisions decisions.

Nickie
09-22-2016, 08:54 AM
I play a decent amount of barre chords as well, but don't really have any issues with my Kamaka. My larger concern was how it would feel with fingerpicking patterns.

I just got word that I probably won't receive my Clara for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if the Mya Moe will be around in 3 weeks. Decisions decisions.

Get them both!

Recstar24
09-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Need is probably not the right word. :D I've been listening to different wood combinations, and spruce top with koa bottom and sides has caught my ear.

Got it...hate to go down this rabbit hole, but what is it specifically about a custom uke with spruce top and koa back and sides that you feel differentiates it from a stock uke that also has spruce top and koa back and sides?

whmeltonjr
09-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Got it...hate to go down this rabbit hole, but what is it specifically about a custom uke with spruce top and koa back and sides that you feel differentiates it from a stock uke that also has spruce top and koa back and sides?

How many ukuleles are there that meet that criteria? Searching HMS comes up with a Ko'aloha Tenor that costs more than the Mya Moe in question.

EDIT: I also want a slotted headstock, which eliminates the Ko'aloha.

tigersister
09-25-2016, 12:10 PM
I don't notice much difference going from my MyaMoe to my other ukes which have flat fret boards. YMMV

stevejfc
09-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I've had a couple of MM'S over the years, both with radiused fret boards. Easier with barred chords, and some getting used to for finger picking. Anyway, used them more for strumming. If you played them exclusively or predominantly I don't think there would be any issues.

Doc_J
09-25-2016, 02:20 PM
What position is your finger when barring a fret? My fingers are as a straight as pencils, don't even need finger muscles to do that. Flat works better for me in this situation.

Also, are you more a strummer more than a picker? The curve of the strings for a radius fretboard(and nut and saddle) takes a minute or two for me to adjust. Radiused isn't always better. Still the radius height difference is very small, and I play flat and radiused FBs with no real problem.

Recstar24
09-25-2016, 02:36 PM
How many ukuleles are there that meet that criteria? Searching HMS comes up with a Ko'aloha Tenor that costs more than the Mya Moe in question.

EDIT: I also want a slotted headstock, which eliminates the Ko'aloha.

Kanilea carries a spruce koa with slotted headstock. I think there's one currently on HMS, but without the slotted.

Are you still able to get on the MM build list?

Dan Gleibitz
09-25-2016, 03:27 PM
What position is your finger when barring a fret? My fingers are as a straight as pencils, don't even need finger muscles to do that. Flat works better for me in this situation.

Ditto. I find it easier to get an even pressure on a flat fingerboard. A lot of people seem to find barring easier on a radius though, so I guess they must use a different technique.

Midlandbob
11-04-2016, 11:26 AM
I have just been working on a Christmas song with a couple of series of barred chords from 5-2. It is relatively easier on my tenor MM than on my Kala. Overall the MM is a quantum better but I think the radius does help.
It feels and looks good too.

Joyful Uke
11-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Can't you get a Kamaka with that wood combination? I know that you can get the Ohta San with that, and think I've seen the deluxe Kamakas (including HF-3, which you seem to like), with that combination. Might be more money than the Mya Moe, (I have no idea what either would cost), but it might be something to look into, since you're familiar with the HF-3.

MDL
11-11-2016, 01:37 PM
I love my Mya-Moe! It's extremely well built and easy to play but I also don't have any issues switching to the other 'ukuleles in my quiver.

Pete F
11-11-2016, 10:46 PM
I have a uke with a radius fretboard and I'm unaware of it whilst playing, other than it's nice and easy to play. I also have a Mya Moe in shipping to me right now - I can let you know what I think in a few days....

whmeltonjr
11-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Since the original post I've acquired a Mya Moe and a Blackbird Clara with a radiused fretboard. I haven't gotten to play the Mya Moe as it had to be shipped off to them due to some issues it developed during being shipped to me. I like the Clara fretboard and I'm sure I'll like the Mya Moe as well (I like it for the 2 seconds I played it before boxing it up and shipping it out).

Mezcalero
11-12-2016, 05:17 AM
I have a custom instrument in progress, and the question came up regarding whether I wanted a radiused fretboard or not. There is an extra cost involved as I assume they are more labor intensive. So, I decided to really pay attention to the 16 ukuleles i have at my disposal including two Mya Moes :)

My thoughts so far:

Until the question came up where I really had to think about it and make a decision, I did not notice any difference in the radiused vs. flat fretboards. After having invested about 10 days consciously paying attention, and specifically playing one with and one without back to back, I have concluded that there is a noticeable difference on bar chords. Mainly up the neck, and specifically on D chord shape. Since I play 4, 3 & 2 strings with one finger bent back, I noticed it is easier to avoid the 1st string when playing D chord with my middle finger bent back in first position, and also when using my ring finger up the neck in the barred shape. The other thing I noticed is on fingerpicking, they require slightly different right hand positioning. I find this is less noticeable than bar chord comparison, and I can't say I prefer one over the other.

By the way, I am also a fan of the cedar/spruce/redwood soundboards!

katysax
11-12-2016, 07:53 AM
I have had a few Mya Moe and other ukes with a radiused fretboard. To me, a radiused fretboard is a matter of complete indifference. The two most playable necks I have, or have ever played on any uke, are the neck on my Moore Bettah and the neck on my Blackbird Clara. Both are flat not radius. Nothing beats a well setup, well adjusted and well finished neck, flat or radius. I play a lot of bar chords.

I enjoy my Mya Moe. They have a sweet, modern tone. They are quite comfortable to hold and play. It's cool to have wood and a design that I picked out. However, they don't project particularly well nor are they as resonant as some of my ukes. For a number of reasons they are among my top ukes to pick up and play, and as I sold off most of my ukes I kept the two Mya Moe I had made for me (and sold the ones I bought used). But my Kala with laminated Acacia back and sides and solid cedar top is louder and more resonant. The Mya Moe has a nicer neck but it is because the Kala uses cheap frets and is not as well finished.