Ukulele and Vocaloid ~ The King's Serenade

tim0g

Reaction score
Hi!

I have opened a new YT channel in which I am playing ukulele (as usual), but now I'm using a software as a singer. This software is called Vocaloid and the virtual singer that you will hear is Hatsune Miku. The recording is very short but you have to know that it is a lot and a lot of work to make the singing acceptable.

My ukulele is a KoaPiliKoko tenor, the song is the chorus of an old song written by Charles E. King and you will find the arrangement in the Ukulele : The early method book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkKQ58z4kc
I will post another songs so if you are interested, you can subscribe. Also, my older YT channel is still open! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ukucafe

Pretty neat there with the synthetic singer, aka Vocaloid.

I checked out a demo of that a few years ago. The time investment to get it to sound human was HUGE and lots of learning curve, and at the time, MOST of the Vocaloid voice-fonts were for Japanese singers and to get them to sing in a normalized English accent was near impossible.

Later I saw they had a 'Mike' and a 'Mary' voice with a supposed American English accent, but it still sounded way too synthetic for me...

Also, the PRICE of the Vocaloid software (from Yamaha) was like $550 or something so I never pursued it further when the free trial period was up...

Having said all that, nice to see what you have accomplished with this, but sadly most folks here on UU will not understand that this is a synthetic singer nor will appreciate the amount of effort required to get it to sound HUMAN instead of like a cross between a Cylon and the Chipmunks....

Thank you Booly :)

Nowaday, there are several Vocaloids that supports English (and some of them Spanish). I tried to make Miku sing in French and it was terrible! aha! Vocaloid is still a very expensive software ($150-200). But, if you have time, and if you are interested, you can try UTAU. It's pretty similar to Vocaloid but it is an Open Source software (and there are many English spoken Utauloids).
adly most folks here on UU will not understand that this is a synthetic singer nor will appreciate the amount of effort required to get it to sound HUMAN instead of like a cross between a Cylon and the Chipmunks....
I don't care about that. You listened the recording, and enjoy it, so that's fine! :) Then what I am going to do - ukulele + synthetic voices - is a niche stuff. I have less reaction on the vocaloid forum than on ukulele forums :eek:

Top Bottom