Question about a radiused back

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to your forum so I apologize if this has been answered previously.
The ukes I've built before had a back that curved in only one direction (front to back). I'm planning to build a baritone uke next and the plans show the back curved in both dimensions, with a taper towards the heel and curved bracing.
It seems to me that it would be difficult to bend the wood into a compound curve like this. Are there any tricks involved? Or do you just muscle the back into place with brute strength clamping?
Thanks in advance.

At least with me, there is no brute force needed. If your back is sanded down to 60-70 mil (~ 1.8mm), it bends and takes the radius of the braces quite easily. However, the back isn't tapered, the sides are so I'm a little confused when you say you want to taper the back. The radiused back lays flat to the tapered sides. Hope that helps.

Sorry, this post is confusing even to me and I wrote it. Perhaps a real luthier will reply.

Last edited:
Do a search on radius dishes and go-bars. That should give you more than enough info for you reading pleasure for weeks on end. Search acoustic guitar forums to get even more results. Standard practice there.

It's very simple, and the back will easily conform to the shape.

Thanks! And yes, I should have said that the sides are tapered, they are narrower at the neck than at the heel, but not in a straight line.

Top Bottom