Ono Quilted Maple Concert

saltytri

Reaction score
A while back, I happened on some unusually nice quilted maple that was just begging to be made into a 16" concert. The first coat of finish went on today and the 3D effect really popped out so I couldn't resist showing it. The top is Adirondack spruce with bubinga bindings and a bloodwood rosette.

29794388132_29f056076b_b.jpg

29794388622_7ce10facc6_b.jpg

29794389332_0598389793_b.jpg

Please tell me it's available :) lol great work as always.

To paraphrase the famous line in "Casablanca," "This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship." ;)

Awesome sauce. The mango 16" currently on HMS has such a sweet sound, but has longer more full sustain than what I normally hear on concerts. I'm sure this one will be in the same league if not better!

Beautiful work!

Such gorgeous wood, both the maple and the spruce. Superb work mate.

Awesome sauce. The mango 16" currently on HMS has such a sweet sound, but has longer more full sustain than what I normally hear on concerts. I'm sure this one will be in the same league if not better!

Yes, that's probably an effect of the slightly longer scale. Mango does have a sweet sound that is all its own, perhaps a bit brighter than koa but with a unique mellowness. I'd use mango more if I could get it but good stuff isn't easy to find and it tends to be rather costly. In fact, that mango cost more than the quilted maple, which wasn't cheap.

Last edited:
Such gorgeous wood, both the maple and the spruce. Superb work mate.

Too bad this maple isn't big enough for a baritone. Maybe a bari out of similar wood might look nice also!

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous, David! I have five spruce/maple ukes that I adore. Maybe I need a 6th!!

This and the mango that HMS has now are both spectacularly gorgeous woods. Nice finds!

Last edited:
Spectacular looking quilted maple. I love, love, love that stuff. If you had a piece big enough for a baritone you would have an order from me for sure. That will be one fabulous 16" concert.

I have had a quilted maple concert since 2007. It is ALL QM...neck, top,sides and bottom. It was originally just natural. I stripped it and used a medium walnut stain to make the colour variations more distinct. It is nice to see that you also brought out the distinction. There is a term called 'Chatoyance" which means 'the look of movement from a stationary object.' Mine also has a bit of spalt to it.. Thefront marking between the strings is a Jwith anS below it starting at the curve of the J. Jake just stood and looked at it and just slowly moved his head from side to side in amazement. He played and signe it. Aldeen Juerro said he didn't mind at all signing behind Jake.. Neither did Aaron Keim and his wife.

Whoever gets this instrument should really enjoy talking to people. It is a magnet! It is thrilling to see another one , and to know what awaits the owner in addition to beautiful music.

Mine is named Bahama Blue. A fellow from Florida said that it reminded him of the look of the bottom of the bay where the waves form patterns in the sand under the water.

Superb quality work. And now with a radius as well? Awesome sauce!!!

The buyer of the mango concert didn't come up with the funds so it's back up on the HMS site.

Top Bottom