Kala Acacia vs Cedar atp-cp?

wpelly

Reaction score
Help deciding between Kala Acacia asact and Cedar atp-cp

Two woods with different tonal qualities there. I love the cedar sound - it sounds full and rich and loud to my ear. Some people would say it sounds boomy and muddy. If The Ukulele Site have both I'd listen to their sound samples and decide which you like best.

I have the Kala ASAC-T and it is by far my favorite ukulele. I am not a very advanced player, but I play every day and this uke is the easiest to play and to my ear, sounds the best. It is not a booming loud uke, but that's OK with me. It has a mellow sound, very clear and sweet. It stays in tune, it looks beautiful, and I can't wait to take it out of the case every day and play it. My daughter has the soprano version and she loves it, too.

It all depends on what sound you like. I have a solid top cedar Uke and a solid acacia Uke and I like the acacia more, but it's all preference.

Try to listen to some online sound samples if you're not able to demo the ukes. They're going to sound different but one isn't necessarily better than the other. It just comes down to personal preference. Also, it's okay to let looks influence your decision too. The fretboard inlay on the Kala acacia is a little blingy for my taste but I'm sure other people really like it. Also, one has a gloss finish and the other satin.

Last edited:
I'd buy a Kala only from a vendor that does quality control and sets up the instruments. In the US, this would be places like TheUkuleleSite/HMS, Uke Republic, Mim's Ukes, etc, and in Europe the Southern Ukulele Store and, I believe, Omega Music. (I bought two ukes from SUS and was very happy with their service.)

As for which one to pick, it's a matter of preference, as others have said. I would probably go with the cedar model because it's a less common tone wood for ukuleles, whereas acacia is very common. Acacia will sound more uke-y.

I have a Kala solid cedar top recommended by Mim, it's my go-to uke with the best projection and sustain of any I have.

I have a Kala cedar topped baritone that I love the sound of, I did think I might get an acacia, but I don't think I need to as this is just so good tone wise, for me. :)

I prefer the cedar but as many have said, that's personal preference. If I were you I would play them both in person and if that is not an option, then definitely listen to them on theukulelesite.com. That kala cedar top is their best Uke in my opinion.

I have a KA-ACP-CTG - the cedar topped slot head concert - and I love it. It's my favorite concert uke.

I played a tenor Kala slot head solid acacia last winter. It was very nice, though less punchy than my cedar top.

I think you need to get both.

I didn't like the kala acacia.... it was kinda mute to me, but all acacias seem so.
The cedar tops are louder.

I'd pick the cedar... well. I did pick the cedar, since I have one.

thanks all for responding.....Very hard when you don't have access to quality uke stores.

I think it is always good to play an instrument before you buy. But I did purchase a Kala ATP-CTG used on Ebay and then sold it to my good friend for the same reasonable price. That was a big mistake. My friend is happy and I'm looking for another uke to duplicate the beautiful, full, and mellow sonic properties of the Kala Cedar Top. I tried the Kala Acacia in a store and thought it was nice but not as satisfying to me as the less expensive Cedar tenor model.

Top Bottom