Ono Ukuleles: OnoMAS opinons please

johnson430

Reaction score
Ono Owners (or any Ono dealer. I know HMS has sold Ono ukes)
Please share your experience with your Ono uke/s. I am talking about the custom made Ono ukuleles made in Oregon.

Are you happy with the build quality? (from the website photos, it looks like David does meticulous work)
What are your long term assessments of the build quality?

Are you happy with the sound? If you got a wood type expecting a certain sound, did the uke meet your sound expectations?

Did you get the side sound port? If so, are you happy with that upgrade? I do a lot of playing for myself so this is a consideration.

Did you get the radius fretboard? How was the radius compared to other radius ukes you have played?

Any other input you would like to share.

Also, I know that the owner of Ono Ukuleles is a member of the UU forum. If you want to share something with me but want to keep it off the forum then PM me and I will keep it between us.
Thanks,
A potential Ono customer

I am extremely happy with my Ono ukulele, which is a 16" concert built with Alaskan Yellow Cedar top and Myrtle body. I have recommended him several times. In fact, I'm already in the queue for another. I've now owned more than 45 ukes across all sizes and price points, so the fact that I choose to have another Ono I hope really says something.

For me, I look at four factors with ukes:

-- Tone: I'm very, very happy with the sound. My uke is very resonant and I like the tone a lot.

-- Playability: I find the uke very comfortable to play. I asked David for a neck profile similar to Collings and I'm happy with the result. He did not offer a radius when I ordered mine.

-- Aesthetics: I find David's ukes consistently well-executed in their visual appeal. He has a real knack for clean, tasteful designs.

-- Build Quality: My uke exceeded my expectations for the price point. There were two small imperfections which most people would not even notice. I've seen, owned and own ukes by builders with outstanding reputations whose build work is not nearly as tidy as David's. The benchmarks in my collection are Hive, Kinnard and Collings. They all built to impeccable standards. So, I'm rather spoiled. Still, I think David makes a wonderful uke, and he punches above his weight when you consider the price point.

David does not offer a nitrocellulose finish, so that is a fundamental difference to the other ukes I've listed above. However, it is expensive to do so and some well-known, well-regarded luthiers choose not to because they believe they get the best tone with other finishes that are less protective.

I did get the side sound port. Given the choice, I prefer this option. However, I would not pass on a uke just because it did not have one.

Here is a link to my original review: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-16-quot-Concert-(gCEA)&p=1795531#post1795531

I'm sure others will weigh in, but let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited:
I too have an Ono and am in the queue for another. I think right there says a LOT about David's work! You have two Ono owners who are already in line for another. My pineapple is the best playing and sounding uke I own. The top is mahogany and it does not disappoint. Warm and mellow as mahogany should be. Neck is perfect. I am not a fan of thicker necks, and this one just feels great. However, if you do like thinker necks, he can accommodate that at well. Mine does not have a radiused fretboard and my next one will not either. Could it make it easier to play? Maybe, but if it ain't broke don't fix it! I do not have a side port in my pineapple, but my next one will. I don't have any other ukes with one, so I cannot speak to the difference they add to the experience. The fit and finish is amazing. If there is a flaw anywhere I have yet to find it. If it ever came to the point where I had to sell off all but one of my ukes, my Ono would be the one remaining in my possession. And it's not even close.

I own a 16" concert with Port Orford cedar top and curly claro walnut back and sides. I have recommended him to anybody who has asked my opinion. I have had a number of people play my Ono and all of them to a person have been impressed. I live just 10 minutes from Luis who builds LfdM ukuleles, I own one. He asked to see my Ono and he really was impressed with the quality of workmanship, the sound and he loved the tru oil finish, kept calling it "very organic" looking.

The sound is fabulous and really turns people heads. A great guitar player was in wonder over how such a small body could put out such a big full sound.

Davids build is meticulous and clean, clean, clean. It is obvious he takes a lot of pride in his work because it really shows.

Playability is wonderful even for a flat fretboard. David did not offer a radius when I bought mine, I have a radius on all others and I REALLY prefer a radius. That said I am keeping this. David did a custom neck profile for me, I like deep necks and he used large fret wires like my Pono, LfdM and Webber. It is nice to deal with a custom builder who actually does "custom" work.

I have the side sound port and love it. I have it on other ukes and if it is available I will always order a uke with one.

Johnson if you are thinking of ordering an Ono I will tell you what I have told others, DO IT.

Last edited:
Wow, 3 great posts that only confirm what I was thinking.
The fact that 2 of you are ordering seconds from him gives me even more confidence.

DUDave, I am very close to pulling the trigger. I love my Breedlove spruce tenor but I have always wanted to try a cedar top.
And I really like what I am seeing and hearing from Ono.

Thanks DUD, Eddie and WCBarnes for your input.

Last edited:
One more thought... Eddie, DUD and I all mentioned the quality of the ukuleles that David builds, but I just noticed that we missed something... Dealing with David! His email communication is excellent! My pineapple was a "spec" instrument that he was building because he liked the woods and not for anyone in particular. I was lucky it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. At the start of my current build I had SEVERAL questions (and will undoubtedly have many more) and David's responses are complete and informative. I couldn't ask for anything more from a luthier!

If we haven't nudged you enough and you are still on the fence, let me give you another tap... Take the plunge. IF for some reason you don't like the ukulele (I get that we are all individuals and don't all like the same thing), I don't think you will have any trouble selling it in the marketplace, but I honestly don't think it will come to that!

Any more questions feel free to ask here or PM me!

Thank you, gentlemen. You are most kind and generous!

This thread must have convinced someone to buy the Ono that was on HMS. I just went to go listen to it again, (especially since it was a 16" scale), and it is gone! I hope that whoever the lucky person is enjoys it!

I hope so, too!

The vids stay up on the HMS vimeo site:

https://vimeo.com/182675486

It's a great resource for evaluating various builders and wood combinations and for hearing some really first-rate playing.

What is done is done.
After a very lengthy and delightful conversation with David(saltytri). I have put my name on the list. David answered all of my questions thoroughly and was very honest as well.
There was talk of...
A tenor sized uke.
A Port Oxford cedar top.
Some very special white Bastogne Walnut wood for the back and sides.
Striped Macassar ebony fretboard and bridge w/ possible modified bridge design.
(still working on binding wood) something dark to contrast the white of the walnut and cedar.
A side sound port
A radius fretboard.
A K&K Aloha Twin pick-up will be installed with the build.
It looks like I will be joining the OnoMAS in less than a year's time.
Thanks for your input everyone.
Now the long wait begins...

Last edited:
That sounds like a winner to me. Looking forward to seeing the end result. The Ono ukuleles look and sound great.

David has found some wonderful wood that he will be using for my tenor build.
It is light colored basket weave Bastogne Walnut. I have not seen walnut this white before. (He actually sent me several photos of woods to pick from but David had also told me the back story on this walnut and that gave me a certain connection to the wood before I even saw it in the photos)
unnamed.jpg

David has found some wonderful wood that he will be using for my tenor build.
It is light colored basket weave Bastogne Walnut. I have not seen walnut this white before. (He actually sent me several photos of woods to pick from but David had also told me the back story on this walnut and that gave me a certain connection to the wood before I even saw it in the photos)
View attachment 94607

The back and sides of my pineapple is made from Bastonge Walnut. Beautiful wood!

The first link is my NUD post with pictures and a description of the uke. Post #15 of the second link is the pictures David took. They are MUCH better than anything I could capture! I'm excited for you Johnson! I love David's work (both to look at as well as play!).

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?114420-NUD-Ono-Pineapple&highlight=pineapple

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110376-New-Ono-Concert/page2

That is a beautiful uke, WC. Thanks for linking the photos.
David is turning out to be an amazing guy to work with. He has made me feel like I am part of the build and has even taken some of my suggestions and been kind to offer alternate solutions to my bad ideas as well.

Top Bottom