PDA

View Full Version : Head Count

Ukuleledad
09-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Head Count after the weekend ... including wall hangers ... 17 ... it's got bad again.

kohanmike
09-25-2016, 08:45 PM
In the first year I played uke a little over three years ago, I went through 16, settled on 4 but now I'm up to 6, and adding bass uke a couple years ago, I'm up to 10. I have no qualms about having UAS.

Croaky Keith
09-25-2016, 10:03 PM
.........Hello...... my name is Keith...... & I'm a ukaholic......... :)

PhilUSAFRet
09-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that's about how many I have. Shopping for them is so damned much fun, especially when you find an amazing "bargain"

padlin
09-25-2016, 11:15 PM
You folks single? My wife is busting my chops for having 3.

Croaky Keith
09-26-2016, 12:05 AM

Yep! :biglaugh::cheers::music:

kohanmike
09-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Me too, free to choose as I wish.

UkingViking
09-26-2016, 07:36 AM
I recently married, so I guess I will need to stay at three...
Or perhaps 4... Or sell one to make room for a new one...

whmeltonjr
09-26-2016, 07:45 AM
I have 3 in my house now, but 2 more on the way. I've hit the allowable limit according to the wife.

DownUpDave
09-26-2016, 07:51 AM
I've got 15 and counting, but nothing "planned" until next year, famous last words. Yes I am married, 34 years as of 2 days ago. My wife is supportive of my hobby. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, no boats, snowmobiles, ATVs or hotrods. What I have invested in ukes would not buy a decent used Ranger bass boat so I consider this a cheap hobby compared to the other stuff I listed ;)w

SoloRule
09-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Hello
I used to be a sensible human being until I met this guy above me in this posting.
He infected me with his UAS virus. He enable my bad habit. So.... Be careful who you make friends with.
I sold some and gain some to keep my collection in a sensible count!
Happy anniversary ! You do have a good woman on your side!

Ukulele Eddie
09-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Nine, gulp, in hand, plus a vintage 2K arriving this week. Several others in various stages of development.

Will be selling a few shortly to make room for the incoming.

I plan to keep an open "slot" for a really special Hawaiian uke that I hope to fill in the next year or so. Just seems "wrong" to not have one in the mix.

WCBarnes
09-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Nine, gulp, in hand, plus a vintage 2K arriving this week.

Were you the lucky one to make off with the recent eBay auction for a SWEET 1920s 2K? Either way, I would love to hear your thoughts compared to the Laughlin 2K.

Back to the OP's original question... I am currently at 14, but will be thinning out my sopranos (and maybe a concert or two). The above mentioned Laughlin 2K is perfect and I haven't picked up any other soprano since.

stevejfc
09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
12 now, with 3 recently out the door. One for sale, one custom on order. 5 or 6 onto the Marketplace in the next couple of months. The beat goes on........................

Ukulele Eddie
09-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Were you the lucky one to make off with the recent eBay auction for a SWEET 1920s 2K? Either way, I would love to hear your thoughts compared to the Laughlin 2K.

Back to the OP's original question... I am currently at 14, but will be thinning out my sopranos (and maybe a concert or two). The above mentioned Laughlin 2K is perfect and I haven't picked up any other soprano since.

Yes, I must confess, it was me. Was really surprised to get it. I literally did not bid until inside the last minute and bid exactly one increment above the then-winning price. I expect to be fully disappointed when it arrives, so hopefully the reverse will happen. ;-) I am concerned about the fretboard wear as it looked bad on the pics. We'll see...

I'm so happy you're thrilled with the Laughlin 2K. I really regretted selling it. It's not surprise these statements are highly correlated. ;-). I have been eyeing a Laughlin 5K that Elderly has. I had the opportunity to buy that very uke for $2K earlier this year and passed as I was nervous since I had never even seen a Laughlin and was interested based on reputation alone. It's what prompted me to later find the 2K you now enjoy. I can't (yet) stomach paying an extra $800-$1K over what I coulda/shoulda bought that same 5K for a few months ago.

WCBarnes
09-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Yes, I must confess, it was me. Was really surprised to get it. I literally did not bid until inside the last minute and bid exactly one increment above the then-winning price. I expect to be fully disappointed when it arrives, so hopefully the reverse will happen. ;-) I am concerned about the fretboard wear as it looked bad on the pics. We'll see...

I'm so happy you're thrilled with the Laughlin 2K. I really regretted selling it and it's not surprise these statements are highly correlated. ;-). I have been eyeing a Laughlin 5K that Elderly has. I had the opportunity to buy that very uke for $2K earlier this year and passed as I was nervous since I had never even seen a Laughlin and was interested based on reputation alone. It's what prompted me to later find the 2K you now enjoy. I can't (yet) stomach paying an extra $800-$1K over what I coulda/shoulda bought that same 5K for a few months ago.

Congrats! I saw the wear as well, but IMHO, for a 20s Martin it looks in very nice shape! I really hope it works out for you! Drop me an email/PM after you get it. I would really like to know what you think.

Choirguy
09-26-2016, 11:51 AM

A fair question is: Which 3?

Trader Todd
09-26-2016, 11:57 AM
I am at 7. That seems to be a good number for me. 2 sopranos, 3 tenor, 1 baritone and 1 banjolele. I'd like to have a baritone in low and high G someday and perhaps a concert, but I'd like to think I am at a "if one comes in, one goes out" stage. That answer might change when I have more money...

Good luck with the new/old Martin...

PeteyHoudini
09-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Not at home right now (in an Indian restaurant) but I think I have 12!

Petey

PhilUSAFRet
09-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Married 55 years 11/11. Don't understand the concept of "my wife won't let me"

Mivo
09-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I actually sold two last week, the Pono baritone and the KoAloha LN pineapple. That was pretty hard, actually, but I had been wanting to downsize for a while, because I feel I'd be happier and more focused with fewer instruments. I did get a Kanile'a GL6 two weeks ago, so I have a total of 7 now, plus the Kala Waterman which I plan to throw away. Very smitten with the GL6 (it sort of replaced the baritone), so that's a keeper. I may get a laminated Islander version for taking outside. Of the other six, the Barron River tenor (low-G) is a keeper, as is the Black Bear soprano (high-G). So three or four would be an ideal number for me. Although I could see myself getting a classical guitar or a custom guitarlele, but there's no strong pull currently. Maybe the GL6 did the trick.

hollisdwyer
09-26-2016, 05:29 PM
4 is the number with a fifth and last (haha) coming soon.

fretie
09-27-2016, 05:16 AM

Well said! I've been with my sweetie for 21 years and she has never put limits on any of my free time activities.

Got four or five ukes at any one time - that seems to suit my playing style and budget.

Rllink
09-27-2016, 05:38 AM
Well said! I've been with my sweetie for 21 years and she has never put limits on any of my free time activities.

Got four or five ukes at any one time - that seems to suit my playing style and budget.I posted this in the other UAS thread that is going on right now. But it applies to both.

Quit sharing things like ukuleles with your wives, or husbands if that is the case. When you run up and stick your newest acquisition in their face, what to you expect? At some point, they won't even notice a new one if you keep it to yourself. My neighbor lady when I was growing up had eight kids. My friend would invite me over for supper, and I would say that maybe his mother wouldn't like me just popping in to eat. He used to tell me that she wouldn't even notice another kid at the table if I just didn't draw attention to myself. A life lesson. Don't draw attention to yourself.

But I don't think my wife would care how many ukes I bought, just so I didn't leave them laying around everywhere. She doesn't like clutter.

Down Up Dick
09-27-2016, 05:39 AM
I only have 5 that I play (I count banjoleles as banjos) and a coupla wall hangers. I don't see how UUers with lots of Ukes get around to playing them all. Anyway, I'm done with UAS.

Now BAS, that's a different thang. I'd like a semi-fretless Banjer, and a spiffy, nicer, set-up Clawhammer Banjer. :old:

Oh, by-the-way. I've been married 42 tears (this time), and I'm totally the boss. My wife said I could be. :cheers:

2manistrings
09-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Yep! :biglaugh::cheers::music:

LOL me too, but I only have one uke. It was a "now I can play uke whenever I want!" present. <3

UkieOkie
09-27-2016, 01:44 PM
If you count the kids' Ukes the we hav 10. We had 12 but I gave two away to some kids recently.

padlin
09-28-2016, 05:05 AM
A fair question is: Which 3?

1st, Luna Tattoo
2nd, Pono MT
3rd, Fluke

Just got the Fluke a couple days ago, so far I'm underwhelmed. Might be I just like the Pono's much more mellow sound.

If I get rid of the 1st it leaves room for yet another 3rd.

Twibbly
09-28-2016, 05:09 AM
I'm up to 3!

But I only started in March.

My husband doesn't argue with my uke collection until I run out of money or space. Right now, I'm out of money (my mother bought my most recent one for me, says it's my Christmas and birthday present), so no more ukes for me. I'm going to concentrate on getting better at playing before I start looking to acquire another one.

Rakelele
10-02-2016, 01:33 AM
We're up to twenty something. BUT: this number includes some crossover instruments like U-Bass, Guitalele, Tenor Guitar, etc. Plus, they are shared between my wife and me, so each of us only has around 10, which seems to be about average... :D

cml
10-02-2016, 01:47 AM
I have 6 ukes now, which feels a little bit too much tbh (but it looks great on the wall ;)). I cant imagine how y'all with 20ish ukes ever play them all. Maybe you dont but are in denial :)?

Head count is:
2 tenors, 1 homebuilt red cedar/maple uke, 1 travel kala with a spruce top. Both are in low G.
3 concerts, 1 KoAloha, 1 plastic uke, 1 homebuilt electric uke. All three in high G.
1 soprano, a Ken Timms style 0 mahogny.

Right now the KoAloha and my new tenor get all the play time.

EDIT:
My daughter has a dolphin as well, so we actually have 7 ukes in the house :).

sam13
10-02-2016, 02:10 AM

Married the right woman, Phil.

I have 9.

My wife encouraged me to buy the recent Kinnard up for sale, but I am trying to keep it below 10. She likes diamonds so I keep her happy every once in awhile.

OhioBelle
10-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Gulp! Well, it seems I'm up to ten! How did that happen??? Each one has a story. I'm afraid I'm not good at "saving and waiting" for the right one to come along. Except for my first one, and the Waterman that has moved on, none have been the result of a conscious effort at ukulele-hunting. It was more like serendipity. Fate.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

I'll tell all of their stories in this post, so whenever I am moved to question my sanity, I will be able to look back on my rationale and realize that yes, I really am nuts. :)

If you've seen my NUD, the latest is the Kala tenor. Stumbled on it at the right time financially, fell head over heels with the sound and knew it would change my life.

The first, my Pono, was due to actively looking for a first uke on the HMS site. I looked at, and listened to, probably every uke they had two years ago. Settled on the Pono because it was neither the cheapest nor the most expensive, and Aaron made it sound good. I had NO idea what I was doing, or whether or not I'd like a tenor. Apparently I do.

A shopping trip to the local GC to buy strings resulted in the Lanikai concert. It was on sale. It looked and sounded pretty. Convinced myself I needed a laminate for the office. And you know what? I did. :)

This foray into "ukes for a specific location" led me to the Waterman for the car. Didn't care for the high action, so traded with a member of this forum for the vintage Harmony Soprano. Wasn't looking to trade, but saw his post and thought "if he wants a Waterman, he can have mine." And I liked the idea of vintage. A little piece of ukulele history.

The Islander I tripped over while browsing Reverb for fun (do NOT browse Reverb for fun unless you want to buy a uke!) Having owned the Waterman, I knew about Maccaferris and their own place in uke history. Did I mention the back is PURPLE SWIRL???? It would have been criminal to let it get away.

The Cocobolo came to me when I had been following the stories of other members' Cocobolos. Browsing the Cocobolo page, saw Pineapple #1 for sale. It was number one. A number one only happens ONCE. And I obviously like interesting wood. This one looks like rivers of lava. And the sound is gorgeous. It had to be mine.

The Mainland Soprano was another serendipitous find, hanging on the wall at GC for $100. One hundred bucks! For a solid hog soprano. Was I gonna let someone else buy it? No way!

Which meant that when Mainland posted their "seconds" sale, I looked around and saw a hole in the collection for a baritone. My first cedar-top.

The sopranissimo was because I wanted to order something from Mim, and she had just gotten these in. Her video made it seem so dang fun. and it is. Perfect to tuck in a bag and play while in the passenger seat of a car. Just to make sure the driver is entertained, of course.

The ULO was for fun. A good uke to take around in the car since the Waterman didn't work out. It just so happens it sounds pretty great, and is adorable with the fish and bright paint. Again, a one-of-a-kind, like the Kala tenor, like the Cocobolo.

I like to think of my collection as Essence of Ukulele. I have vintage. I have different sizes. I have ukes for different locations. The collection feels "complete." There are a few obvious holes, if you know your ukuleles. So....

thus ends the tale. Until it continues...

Mezcalero
10-02-2016, 06:05 PM
It's good to know I am not alone :)

These were all purchased within 6 weeks of first playing a ukulele, and there are also two Pono tenors, two Lanikai tenors and a Kala Bass Uke that wouldn't fit on the bed. So I guess I have picked up 12 Ukes in the last 2 months. I do anticipate selling some, but I also have just committed to having a custom 5 string Tenor built by David Ingalls. At least my passion for music has been rekindled!

Mivo
10-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Re-homed my Opio Concert, so now I am down to six! Of these, there are three I am very unlikely to ever part with (Kanile'a GL6, Barron River tenor, Black Bear koa soprano). Un-cluttering my life feels like a breath of fresh air. :) (Or maybe it's just relief stemming from finally having an idea what I want and where I'm going, music- and instrument-wise).

gitarzan
10-02-2016, 06:41 PM
A bunch (See my signature). I primarily play the Gretsch and now, Lanikai Banjo ukes, the Koalana Soprano and the Bruce Wei tenor. I play the others sooner or later, but maybe less than more. I still love them each and every one.

Doc_J
10-03-2016, 02:43 AM

You just got to add slowly. Also encourage your wife in her hobbies. My wife makes quilts (really nice ones).

BTW, I stopped counting once the number got past fingers and toes.

Croaky Keith
10-03-2016, 03:29 AM
:) (Or maybe it's just relief stemming from finally having an idea what I want and where I'm going, music- and instrument-wise).

It does take a while when you can't try everything you want in a local music store! :)

I think I've got my likes sorted out now as well - but I like way more than you do.... :rofl:
(I have managed to earmarked some for moving on, at some time.)

Ramille
10-03-2016, 06:07 AM
I have 4, but each has a special function - a Will King Soprano for playing campanella, a Mainland Concert for strumming, a Kamoa low G Concert for finger picking, and a BugsGear soprano for the outdoors (I live in Florida). They also look lovely on my wall on either side of the piano. I am NOT a ukeholic, I am NOT a ukeholic, I am NOT a ukeholic. :)

Croaky Keith
10-03-2016, 09:29 AM
It's good to know I am not alone :)

......12 Ukes in the last 2 months........

....& I thought I was going overboard when I first started by buying 2 a month for a couple of months! :D:rofl::music:

Teek
10-05-2016, 09:53 PM
I had to look them up in a document I made to add to my will, because they are all tucked away but one, as life circumstance has put a curb on a lot of my hobbies right now and I am spending all my time and energy elsehwere.

The good news is I currently have less than I've had and sold, and intend to rehome a few when and if the dust ever settles. I gave a couple away I forgot about so I have 14, three are wall hangers but are playable,even though two are missing their 12th frets. I thought is was a lot more but I'm probably confusing some with all the guitars. I count the two guitaleles in with the guitars.

I noted in an older thread that my personal cure for UAS was GAS, and my cure for GAS was an old Sunday truck that needs work and thus lots of parts. She's a blast though. Nothing fancy, just a shorter version of one I had to sell 10 years ago. It's the rumble of the V8; it's as soothing to my nerves as picking on a string thing, but I can get a little wind in my hair with the truck with the windows down..

Al Davison
10-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Only 3 in my house. But, I've only been playing for about 18 months. My wife has a soprano, I have a concert and a tenor. And, a guitar that rarely gets played.
My wife has already informed me that I have enough so, since she's always right, I have enough. However, that doesn't mean I can't keep upgrading. ;)

(Don't blame my wife - I'm currently downsizing my fishing rod collection. At one point, I had 10 really nice rods. I'm trying to get down to just 6. )

Ukuleledad
10-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Head Count after the weekend ... including wall hangers ... 17 ... it's got bad again.

Now it's up to 18, just bought a Kala Ka-FMT, funnily enough my first tenor, it was only 40 second hand inc a pod case - as if I need to justify!

padlin
10-07-2016, 02:25 AM
I was reading the same question, but in regards to fishing rods on a fishing forum. Someone came up with the idea of a FI, Fishing Index. Your FI is supposed to be equal to your age.

Anyone getting close to their UI?

Twibbly
10-07-2016, 02:38 AM
I was reading the same question, but in regards to fishing rods on a fishing forum. Someone came up with the idea of a FI, Fishing Index. Your FI is supposed to be equal to your age.

...I have 31 to go!

Croaky Keith
10-07-2016, 03:51 AM

That would make me 50 short! :rolleyes:

KamakOzzie
10-07-2016, 07:47 AM

I'm just over half way there. I'm 67.

Bill

padlin
10-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Sheesh, I've only got 3, 57 left to go, I'm such a rookie.

I still have 53 fishing rods to go too.

Chopped Liver
10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I have 3 - A Makala shark, a Lanikai concert, and my newest from today - a Pono Mango soprano.

That is all I need. I am not going to do like I did with Native American flutes. I am now trying to sell some (plus a couple of ocarinas and a classical flute) because of my greediness. I didn't really play them, either. Well, I did start lessons on the classical flute but the thing was too hard on my wrist).

I am really trying to downsize my life and possessions so I won't get any more - at least not for a LONG time. MY Pono will last me quite awhile before I graduate past it . . . which probably won't happen. I didn't get ukes to get to a certain level anyway. I got them because they make me happy!

Edited to add: Oops! I have 4! I forgot about my Eleuke Peanut!