single, cross body strap or double knapsack configuration?

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
besides hard case, soft case, what are your preferences re: carrying straps? one or 2? or don't you need/want your hands free when transporting your uke(s)?

just wondering :)

The only time I use a gig bag is when I think that I am going to need both hands free, so I prefer two straps. That way I can carry it like a backpack. I can still throw it over one shoulder if I want to be casual about it. Otherwise I use a hard case.

I have only carried my ukes around a little bit, but for now I prefer one strap across.

If I really have to carry the ukulele for a while, as I did on a hike last year, it will not be the only thing I carry. The weight balanced central spot on my back is not where I will put my uke, that is where the backpack with the heavy stuff goes. The precious (a beater uke, but still precious) and lightweight ukulele will be carried on top or alongside somehow. That is easier with one long strap. On the case I had at the time there were two small ones, so I had to extend one of them as much as possible to sling it over one shoulder, but it was not long enough to go across.

I guess that is you carry your uke to a gig, you might also need a backpack for set list, sheet music, microphone, a bottle of water or other heavier accessories.

Besides that I think one strap looks cooler, but that is just my personal opinion :)

There is a thing called a stabiliser strap that goes well with a shoulder strap. If you look up "Crumpler Third Leg" you can see how it works. It is used when you need the shoulder strap to stay in place while you ride you bicycle or motorbike or need two hands. You can easily make one to go on your camera bag, uke bag, or any bag that has a shoulder strap. I carry a strap like the one shown in the link to make a stabiliser strap when I need one.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/sea-to-summit-tie-down-accessory-strap-with-hook-release-10mm.html
That looks like a good idea, and you could get as fancy as you want with it. You could just take a piece of parachute cord and do that if you wanted. Or get a strap.

I've never carried a case or gig bag long enough to need a strap so I take the straps off. Guess I'm getting too old for the "Woody Guthrie" cross country stuff.

The case for my soprano has a handle at the top, one at the side, and backpack straps. I generally use carabiners and just clip it onto my backpack if I'm hauling it around.

I haven't figured out how to carry the tenor Outdoor Uke yet. I'm thinking I might just put a single strap on it using a Command hook at the bottom instead of drilling it out, but that might not hold well during the summer here.

I already carry around a backpack with my laptop and work documents, and a purse that holds everything that I might need in a day - I work an hour away from home so I generally tote around any conceivable thing I might need. So, for me a ukulele case/bag carry handle is preferable as I usually only have one hand left free.

All my gig bags have two backpack type straps, that way not only can I carry it on my back hands free, I can also hang on the back of a chair when I'm playing.

I would like to put a strap on my hard case and see how that worked, but I've yet to figure out how to do that without making it looked jury rigged. Just because sometimes I want to free up my hands, but I don't like trying to decide whether to put it in a gig bag, or haul it around in the hard case. Anytime I can eliminate the options and streamline the process, I like that.

My "manbag of bits" has a shoulder strap and I carry my gig bags by the handles. It's usually only from the car across the road to the building where the event is.

Top Bottom