Any chance we could add a Noob builder sub folder?

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
You know, so me and other pleebes can ask questions without annoying the veterans. I am in the process of gathering the stuff to make a cocobolo uke, but I don't know anything. What thickness the sides and back need to be, how to make a slight bow in the back, how best to attach the neck, and on and on......

funny but don't you want the info from a veteran builder? instead of someone like you who does not know the answers....I would try emailing builders who you respect directly...I am pretty sure they will answer your questions...maybe just me but I would want to get the answers from someone who has built many ukes and knows why he does things a certain way...

my 2 cents

I wrote a long reply which I erased.

This is a terrible idea.

Get the ukulele book and plans from Hana Lina 'Ia and check them out. That should answer most of your questions. There is lots and lots of info here on the UU about this and tons of youtubes available. Also, Stewart McDonald has a kit that will give you a good start and is not too expensive. It makes a pretty fair uke. I don't know that I would start with cocobolo and you might save that for a future build.

http://hanalimastore.com/products/hana-lima-ia-ukulele-construction-manual

To the original Poster....consider yourself an apprentice....when I was an apprentice I was treated like a dog..I was shouted at, ridiculed , humiliated, and had to make tea as well...and I deserved it..cos I was a noobie...but I learned a lot as well;)

Sure I want the info from veterans, but wouldn't veterans interested in helping Noobs visit that folder to help? Just wouldn't clutter up the regular page. it was just a thought.
funny but don't you want the info from a veteran builder? instead of someone like you who does not know the answers....I would try emailing builders who you respect directly...I am pretty sure they will answer your questions...maybe just me but I would want to get the answers from someone who has built many ukes and knows why he does things a certain way...

my 2 cents

Erasing a long rambling post, or my original idea ;)

Darn. I would have liked to have read it because this is a very interesting question. It brings up a lot of issues of what the Luthiers Lounge is all about. The thought that the lounge is not welcoming to noobs is discouraging to me. Personally as a noob, the LL was very helpful to me as to where to glue the kanutter flanges to the Persian joints thingies and I benefited. However, the lounge can be a very competitive place with a lot of opinions, methods and yes egos that don't always get along so well. Sometimes I do think that the bar gets set a little high for the beginning builder, but there are some very, very good builders on here and for the most part they are helpful if not always pleasant.

Ken says, a little abuse comes with the job as an apprentice, but I find this sentiment counter to what the lounge should be; a place of helpful kind advice in the spirit of aloha, a concept that is not always followed. This isn't Dickensian England here mates. Mahalo nui loa. Aloha.

Sure I want the info from veterans, but wouldn't veterans interested in helping Noobs visit that folder to help? Just wouldn't clutter up the regular page. it was just a thought.[/QUOTE

In my opinion...the real builders are to busy building.....so them going to a page to help a new builder does not make sense to me...but I am not a builder....I do know a lot of them though and they all are nice and willing to help...I still say try emailing(privately) the ones you like and see what happens

In my opinion...the real builders are to busy building.....

Some of the world's finest ukulele builders can be found in this forum, along with many experienced amateurs. Many are happy to help out.

OP, just ask your questions. If you're worried about annoying people, put 'noob question' in the title, and anybody prone to annoyance can avoid or ignore them.

I don't know anything about Cocobolo except I read it's a pretty severe irritant. Eye protection, dust mask and skin protection advised.

Some of the world's finest ukulele builders can be found in this forum, along with many experienced amateurs. Many are happy to help out.

OP, just ask your questions. If you're worried about annoying people, put 'noob question' in the title, and anybody prone to annoyance can avoid or ignore them.

I don't know anything about Cocobolo except I read it's a pretty severe irritant. Eye protection, dust mask and skin protection advised.

i understand what you are saying....and I know many of the builders on the UU...but they are not all on the UU.....many,many more never even look at the UU....Guys like Chuck,Aaron and Beau always helping out.....pick a builder you respect and email them directly they may answer

Last edited:
My erased post was a rather long winded ramble. Suffice to say, I strongly disagree with your idea ukemak...

I erased my previous post because I dont think it would be very popular ;).

There is a rather obvious division here already (at least it's obvious if you hang out here for a while), which I dont feel should be reinforced. If some of the pros are so annoyed with us amateurs, I hope they keep it to themselves. Mind you, many people here are really helpful and friendly.

You know, so me and other pleebes can ask questions without annoying the veterans. I am in the process of gathering the stuff to make a cocobolo uke, but I don't know anything. What thickness the sides and back need to be, how to make a slight bow in the back, how best to attach the neck, and on and on......

Search through past posts in this forum for some info. There is a wealth of knowledge already posted here.

Search through past posts in this forum for some info. There is a wealth of knowledge already posted here.

You're not wrong about the value of the knowledge that has already been shared here. I had a little celebration the other night when I finally read through the last thread on this sub forum, having worked my way through over 300 pages of threads. I learnt a lot during my late night reading sessions.

Searching on vBulletin is a bit of a hit and miss affair and often frustrating though. And even if a question was asked and answered 3 years ago there may be value in asking it again, given the ever changing forum demographics and the evolution of techniques among seasoned builders.

The 'annual question'... Ask sensible questions and you will get sensible answers. However, research before you ask. We get very exercised when someone is too lazy to look at previous attempts to answer the 'burning questions' every novice has. I absolutely guarantee that any question you may have has already been covered here many times over.

No problem, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. No it is.

My erased post was a rather long winded ramble. Suffice to say, I strongly disagree with your idea ukemak...

I erased my previous post because I dont think it would be very popular ;).

There is a rather obvious division here already (at least it's obvious if you hang out here for a while), which I dont feel should be reinforced. If some of the pros are so annoyed with us amateurs, I hope they keep it to themselves. Mind you, many people here are really helpful and friendly.

No need for a sub forum. If other makers find the questions tedious then that's their problem. They don't have to read the post and they certainly don't have to reply. The point is that questions do crop up that are pretty much alike but the answers can change. Forums are like that. New members come along who have a different perspective on things, old members can change their mind on issues. A few months ago I tried a pore filler. Some people obviously like it. I hated it, did absolutely nothing for me. Month 'A' I would not have given an answer regarding this pore filler, month 'B' I could. That's just an example of how things can change.
As regards Coco on your first Uke. I vote forget it. There are far easier timbers to start cutting your teeth on.

As regards Coco on your first Uke. I vote forget it. There are far easier timbers to start cutting your teeth on.

I certainly concur with this notion...
I have 6 sets of amazing 80+yr old Cuban Mahogany. It's gonna be at least 85yrs old by the time i even consider using it!!!
I have other sets of quality stuff that I am learning with and will continue to do so, but my best wood is being saved until I am ‘certain' I won’t ruin it.

The 'annual question'... Ask sensible questions and you will get sensible answers. However, research before you ask. We get very exercised when someone is too lazy to look at previous attempts to answer the 'burning questions' every novice has. I absolutely guarantee that any question you may have has already been covered here many times over.

This!

All those here who have useful answers learnt those answers through extensive reading and hands on building. So if you ask a question which shows you didn't bother doing any basic research, either no-one answers or, if you catch someone on a bad day, you get told to go away and do some reading.

As an example, OP, it won't take more than a few minutes research to get a rough idea of back and side thickness then you can come on here and ask a better question - if backs and sides are usually 2 mm or less, would cocobolo work best at the high side or low side of that range?

Once you've done that basic work, the experienced builders can be very kind and helpful. I still recall one of my early builds where I planned a four piece top, with end grain butted at a joint across the (very narrow) waist. Pete Howlett made some very helpful comments, whilst pointing out that as a professional he couldn't risk such a technically bad joint but adding that as a hobby builder I had the luxury of doing it anyway and taking the risk. So I went ahead, and I suspect Pete's comments helped me do it such that the uke remains playable and in one piece.

But I started by explaining that I knew this was technically wrong, why I was planning it, and why I thought it would work. If I hadn't, Pete would either have ignored me or told me I was an idiot. Because I wasn't asking him to do my research for me, he was kind and helped me do it in a way which stood a chance of working.

The OP's post raises questions which I'd need to write a book to answer. If a Noob subforum asked those kinds of things I wouldn't respond, as I don't have time to write a reply that long! So I'd probably ignore the subforum. Probably only the ignorant would bother to respond.

If the questions were based on research, then they fit well here and will receive helpful answers.

Top Bottom