De bonding CA glue from fret board

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Today I had to remove a few frets from the fret board of my latest project. Due to the fact that the width of the saw blade I use for slotting the finger board is a tad wide, after tapping them in, I glue the frets with thin CA.I find that this works rather well until today when I had to remove them!
Not having any de bonder on hand, I tried using acetone, but soon realized that this would be a slow process. I then remembered that CA melts with heat, but how to accomplish that without setting fire to the finger board? The light bulb eventually lit up and after heating up my soldering iron and placing the hot shaft across the length of a fret for about 20 seconds, it was easily pried up with a sharp knife, leaving the slot intact. I was so impressed by this bright idea that I thought I'd pass it along!
You all probably knew this already!

Bob

TThe light bulb eventually lit up and after heating up my soldering iron and placing the hot shaft across the length of a fret for about 20 seconds, it was easily pried up with a sharp knife, leaving the slot intact. I was so impressed by this bright idea that I thought I'd pass it along!
You all probably knew this already! Bob

Great video on this. Here: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Secrets/Removing_the_frets_on_the_Mike_Bloomfield_Tele.html

I don't glue my frets so I don't have this problem. Will I pay for it later? Maybe. Maybe not. Then I use the glue.

Top Bottom