Drills for moving up and down the fretboard

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi, so I got started on some pieces from John King's book and it has helped me identify two weaknesses, moving up and down the fretboard and rolling or playing strings quickly in succession with different fingers. Scales and arpeggios don't seem to address these, any advice?

Thanks!
Ben

This might be bad advice, but it seems to be working for me.

Choose a fingerstyle tune that's way above your ability, that uses a lot of the fretboard and that has a good tab available. Plug away at it a section at a time until you can play it through. Pick another, do the same.

Over time, you'll start to recognise and seek shapes, patterns and sequences that feel as natural as the first position chords. You may not know the name of the underlying chords but you'll know how to play them.

I don't know the John King book, but if it's making you feel inadequate it probably has 2/3rds of what you need. The other 3rd being the stubborn patience to practice regularly and repeatedly until you defeat it.

Good luck!

Google "Hanon for Ukulele" there are 28 pieces that will give your fingers and sight reading ability a real work out.

Dan's advice above is excellent as well and I mix up the discipline of Hanon with musical pieces above my head that I LOVE to hear. It helps tremendously that I want to make them sound good, even if it takes months.

Top Bottom