Nbud

cml

Reaction score
Newly built ukulele day!

Today was the day, after roughly one month of building, I've completed my first acoustic ukulele :D! It's a tenor with these specs:

Western red cedar soundboard
Spalted maple sides and back
Maple neck
Rosewood fretboard and bridge
Peruvian walnut bindings, heel cap and head plate
Groover geared tuners
Low g with Thomastik Infeld and Oasis strings

I'm mighty pleased, you cant get it much more custom than building your own uke :D!
Here are some photos:
29933371806_89a6367ffd.jpg

29933368626_3c3b54dd06.jpg

And if you'd like to know more about the build process, there's a looong thread with a build-along here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121930-Build-along-my-first-build!

PS. The saddle is currently too high up, it needs to be sanded down. But I wanted to give it a spin right away... DS.

Last edited:
And some quick noodling. Strings are brand new and go out of tune real quick, and I'm very rusty in my playing - I've only been building for the last month, almost no playing - but it is what it is. I couldnt help myself from trying it out :D!

Excellent! very nice looking and sounding! I keep thinking that I might give it a go at some point, but haven't made the commitment yet.

Congratulations, that is a very big accomplishment. It looks and sounds really nice, enjoy it.

Wow, can hardly wait to see your second, LOL Great job.

It doesn't look like a first build, and without hearing it in person, it sounds good. I have only been playing since January and I have played and owned ukuleles that didn't sound as nice as that one.

Now that you have one under your belt...is another coming?

absolutely gorgeous! GREAT JOB!

Just finished reading your build thread. Awesome job. The spalted maple is beautiful. Congrats on a job well done!

Now that is a great symptom of UAS! :) Looks great, and really quite the feat!

Thank you for your very kind words everyone!

And yes, another one is coming, but I won't start building it until spring. I want to have time to play again:), and between work, a house, wife and toddler I dont have time to do both ;).

I was watching along in your build thread, and it turned out great. Glad you are enjoying your new build. Now you have to try to make another one!

Beautiful work CML! You have set the bar pretty high for first time builders! I enjoyed following along with the build thread as I am contemplating how to tackle my own first acoustic build. I can assure you though, mine will not have bindings, or a heel cap, or a beautiful sound hole inlay as yours does! Really though, very nice work, you should be proud. Relax, and happy strumming!:D

Top Bottom